Director Underwriting - North America
The Director, Underwriting, reports to the Senior Director of Underwriting and serves as an internal business consultant and liaison to insurance company partners, service providers, regulatory agencies and clients with respect to insurance, extended service contracts (ESCs) and reinsurance operations (collectively "underwriting operations"). The Director brings knowledge of underwriting, financial concepts and analysis. The Director brings knowledge of insurance topics to create, manage and optimize systems and procedures to ensure compliance in the most cost effective and efficient manner. The Director interacts with various levels of management, both internally and externally, and therefore must have the ability to communicate at the staff level through senior leadership. The Director plays a role in the economic performance of underwritten business, primarily through the identification, implementation and management of contractual/policy "best practices", as well as management of insurance fees, premium taxes and expenses, and financial collateral associated with underwriting, and associated cash flows. The role may design/modify/influence form, rate and pricing plans within specific product lines and geographic territories.
- Partner with other Underwriting Operations team members to identify, implement and manage "best practices", as they pertain to underwriting operations, across all insurer and client relationships
- Will participate and / or guide the department in strategic planning for the US region, shaping the department's overall business strategy, developing strategic plans and assessing the department's performance, and conducting research and data analysis to inform business decisions
- Anticipate, recognize and understand relevant regulatory compliance issues and rate and form filing requirements. Partner with internal Legal/Regulatory group to design, implement and monitor program compliance.
- Consult specifically with Client Services, Product Development, Pricing, Program Management, Finance, Legal/Regulatory and other internal customers on all matters of underwriting operations. Understand how Asurion works cross functionally, identifying interdependencies between department.
- Will be responsible for one or more internal client relationships and by extension related external client relationships, working with business p artners to meet the needs of Asurion and our clients, as it relates to underwriting operations.
- Will be responsible for one or more insurance company partner relationships which may cross product lines and geographies.
- Lead captive and obligor governance for both Asurion and client captives and obligors in multiple insurance domiciles.
- Monitor and or help create insurance/ESC/reinsurance contracts and policies for accuracy and compliance with stated terms and practices (e.g. rates, fees, taxes, key contract dates, program procedures).
- Experience in dealing with and or knowledge of claims, underwriting and administrative processes.
- Understand and minimize contractual and policy expenses incurred as part of underwritten programs.
- Monitor markets, industries and companies for potential business opportunities or threats, current and longer term.
- Participate in insurance market research, selection and negotiation efforts, principally as a resource in documenting comparative practices across insurers/clients.
- Serve as a representative of Asurion underwriting operations at key professional association meetings and conferences
- Ten+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or related field. MBA a plus Certified in industry designations or the ability to become certified (CPCU, CIC, ARM, ARe, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of insurance and underwriting concepts and processes.
- Demonstrated personal productivity, time management and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated relational skills.
- Detail oriented
- Able to deal with a high level of ambiguity
- Able to effectively multi-task at a high level.
- Expertise with various computer applications, software and databases (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.).
- Able to support clients and team members across a global operating model, appreciating multiple cultures and associated time-zone management.
- Able to lead a team of managers and/or senior managers
- Able to lead cross-functional meetings internally and externally
- Foreign language skills (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, French, Japanese, Standard Chinese, Korean) a plus.
- Able to occasionally have non-standard working hours to account for multiple time zones
- Up to 10% travel
For two decades, Asurion has led the technology protection industry around the globe. The Company provides premier support solutions to enable optimum use of technology; digital applications to protect their privacy and provide security; and rapid replacement of lost, stolen, damaged or malfunctioning devices. Asurion partners with the leading wireless companies, retailers and service providers enabling them to focus on their businesses and to provide services that delight their customers. Asurion's 14,000+ employees worldwide specialize in fulfilling the needs of more than 280 million consumers. For more information about Asurion, including customer service ratings and reviews that help drive continuous improvement, please visit www.asurion.com .
Meet Some of Asurion's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Bryant manages the Software Development Group at Asurion that focuses on back-office technology. By doing so, he helps deliver new products and business capabilities.
Back to top