Continuous Improvement Team Leader
General Purpose of Position
The Continuous Improvement Team Leader is responsible for the continuous improvement of the manufacturing and Lab processes through effective utilization of Quality Systems team members and plant associates. Additionally, the Appleton Continuous improvement Team Leader will work with the other AstenJohsons Forming Continuous Improvement Team Leaders to assure their improvement efforts are effective and when appropriate rationalized between sites.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to the Operations Business Team representing the Continuous Improvement area. Provide leadership to the Group Business Leader (Forming), assuring consistency is maintained between operating sites.
- Provide leadership to the Product Business Leader addressing process/product issues and the resolution of same.
- Insure that the Operations Business Team is kept abreast of customer complaints, credits and allowances on a regular basis to insure that the issues and concerns are being addressed in a timely and effective manner
- Lead monthly NA Complaint and Credit review meetings
- Member of the Global Operations Excellence Team (Forming)
- Provide for the appropriate selection and charting of quality related data and assure the use of same data to improve the process.
- Assist the site ISO System Rep in the annual management review required by ISO. Assist ISO Rep in assuring system requirements are being met.
- Responsible for evaluating and selecting future process improvement efforts that will be beneficial to the Appleton operation.
- Assure accurate and timely completion of Quality Systems responsibilities and timely reporting of these activities.
- Assure appropriate communication with suppliers and customers regarding quality issues.
- Provide effective communication of Process Improvement efforts to all associates
- Utilize team members as facilitators to the manufacturing area, various committees and Improvement Teams.
- Participate in daily Manufacturing/Process Improvement, and other Scheduling meetings.
- Further team training and cross-training.
- Interview and make recommendations regarding hiring for positions within Continuous Improvement Team.
- Provide feedback to Team on performance, development, SPB's and Competency Growth.
- Review and recommend salary increases, promotions, and transfers for team members.
- Granting of time off or leaves of absence.
- Approval of purchase requests up to $500.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
- Insures the leadership and co-ordination of continuous improvement in Appleton and insures consistency between operating site.
- Through effective leadership of the Continuous improvement Team, the following activities are completed accurately, and at a rate consistent with manufacturing needs
- Test fabrics (go/ no go) for physical properties based on scheduling priorities. Forward sample to Kanata for special testing
- Assure FHS data entry is completed timely
- Provide templates for all looms on standardized designs where prior history exists.
- Act on in-process fabrics within one day of customer complaints
- Conduct data gathering, charting, and analysis of the items listed below:
- Monthly Customer Feedback Summary
- Customer requested information upon request
- Spoilage summaries
- Maintain a "back-up" for each responsibility on the team, and provide training as needed.
- Issue monthly Quality Report by for Forming by mid month.
- Conduct with all direct reporting associates:
- Revise job descriptions as needed.
- Complete development reviews at mid year.
- Performance analysis at year end
- Maintain ISO 9001 Certification (ongoing).
- Assist in the monthly meeting with Weavers on spoilage and weaveover results. Continue to help troubleshoot and problem solve as needed.
- Conduct Continuous Improvement team meetings as needed.
- Develop action plans for customer complaints.
- Travel to Valleyfield, Williston, and Kanata as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
- College graduate with Bachelor's degree in textile, chemical or mechanical engineering or related sciences is preferred
- Self-starter, capable of working with no supervision.
- Analytical in nature and capable of understanding the manufacturing processes (Weaving, Seaming, Heat setting), and forming fabric design and application.
- High organizational and planning skills.
- Capable of developing both short and long range plans and strategies.
- Familiar with textile and paper industries.
- Demonstrated experience and/or skill in leading and motivating people.
- Ability to be involved in numerous projects at one time, and manage to completion.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent understanding of Statistical Tools, Problem Solving Tools and teamwork concepts.
- This person will supervise and coach all PE Technicians
- Must be fluent in English
Meet Some of AstenJohnson's Employees
Supply Chain Manager
Brad prides himself on making the right fabric at the right time. He rearranges schedules across plants to produce exceptional products at the exact time they’re needed.
Back to top