Director of Benefits
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With 600,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
The Director, Total Rewards is responsible for the implementation, administration and communication of all benefit programs/policies/procedures and partners with management and third party consultants to ensure they remain competitive and cost effective. The Director, Total Rewards provides excellent counsel and support active employees and supervisors, along with terminated employees, retirees and Board Members on the following benefits: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life insurances, short term disability, long term disability, FMLA, worker’s compensation, defined benefit pension plan, 401(k) savings plans, long term care, commuting benefits, gym discounts and all other benefits. The Director, Total Rewards investigates new benefits programs, improves existing programs, and supervises and monitors benefits administration as well as provides analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefits programs.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
- Primary contact for all employee benefits programs, processes and policies that enhance the organization’s ability to attract, retain and motivate the workforce.
- Serve as a liaison between employees and benefit vendors. Answers benefit inquiries and resolves employee benefit issues in a timely, accurate manner.
- Responsible for annual Open Enrollment which includes the development and execution of online benefits enrollment, finalizing the renewal and documentation with brokers/vendors, coordinating informational meetings and the creation and distribution of communication materials.
- Monitors administration of and maintains records for short term disability, long term disability, work from home arrangements, worker’s compensation and FMLA leaves.
- Provides counseling and employee relations services to supervisors and employees when applicable to short term disability, long term disability, work from home arrangements, worker’s compensation and FMLA leaves.
- Provides benefits-related counseling to employees when separating from service.
- Ensures best in class administrative practices, processes and procedures are in place and observed; maintains knowledge of industry trends and directs the activities of all third party vendors.
- Ensures regulatory and legal compliance by working with consultants, actuary, 401(k) vendor and outside counsel on required federal and state disclosures and notices.
- Plans and develops employee events to boost morale, maximize vendor usage and enhance the work environment. Coordinates health and wellness seminars and initiatives, flu shot program, and one-on-one meetings with financial advisors.
- Implements benefit communication strategies with vendors such as employee educational information and benefits program marketing.
- Organizes, administers and monitors HRIS data and prepare reports as needed to broker, consultants, vendors.
- Oversees COBRA administration.
- Manage Benefits budget; ensures benefits-related payments are made.
- Partners with Finance and Payroll to complete various benefits audits for 401(k) plan, pension plan, dependent/medical claims audit.
- Completes special projects as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field
- 10-15 years of HR experience, including benefits and employee relations experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Ability to foster and develop relationships with vendors, brokers, consultants, supervisors and employees, Board Members
- Work involves a degree of complexity which requires the ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations for COBRA, STD, FMLA, Worker’s Compensation, Retirement Administration and Healthcare Reform
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, ADP WFN
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program
Meet Some of ASCAP's Employees
Senior Director of Creative, Rhythm & Soul
From scouting new music creators to putting on the annual Rhythm & Soul Music Awards, JJ's job involves research in the field, meeting with songwriters, and supporting performers in any way possible.
Back to top