The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With 600,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
Combining talent, experience and an equal passion for music and cutting-edge design with innovative problem-solving, attention to detail and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, ASCAP’s Art Director is responsible for designing and creating all visual aspects of ASCAP’s brand across an array of mediums to achieve the goals of the Marketing department while generating excitement, confidence and trust throughout our music creator and music-licensed community.
Areas of responsibility/accountability: The Art Director will take the lead in designing and creating assets, from concept to execution, for everything from traditional print ads, program books and brochures to digital assets for web, social media, presentations and video to experiential materials and graphics for events such as conferences, festivals and award shows representing a variety of music genres. This person will collaborate with senior Marketing staff and interface with other creative and strategic departments throughout ASCAP.
- Strategize closely with Creative Director to determine how to best represent concepts related to ASCAP’s brand identity, while leading the development of strategic brand creative and forward-thinking solutions from concept to launch, in collaboration with the broader marketing team.
- Develop online and offline visual communication material for key consumer-facing marketing channels including digital, social, experiential, traditional media, partner programs.
- Drive company-wide use of our current visual guidelines/identity system and ensure alignment with the overall brand positioning and strategy.
- Confidently communicate and present creative/visual concepts, design rationale and the specifics of proposed design solutions.
- Ensure consistency and integrity of the ASCAP brand in the eyes of consumers, partners, the brand creative and management.
- Mentor and manage junior and freelance graphic designers to support strategy
Graphics Production: (20%)
- Oversee and manage print, pre-press and production vendors to meet our goals; stay abreast of new production technologies and best practices to deliver the best results; negotiate best pricing; and manage and meet all deadlines.
- Collaborate with Graphic Designer and Ad Manager to create digital advertisements for ASCAP’s events and strategic initiatives.
- Manage and design concepts for PowerPoint and or keynote presentations/materials for meetings; sponsor decks in multi-formats to communicate our messaging visually.
- You have 6+ years of direct experience in developing exceptional brand-focused creative experiences (agency or client side).
- You will have previous experience of managing a small team, in particular building a great team spirit, inspiring great work and hiring and developing high caliber people.
- Should be proficient in the major digital design programs in the Adobe Creative Cloud - InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects – as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Keynote and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of print production procedures (preparing files for press, checking proofs, etc.) as well as sending files via email and FTP.
- Good communication and organizational skills to manage a multi-project workflow.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program
Meet Some of ASCAP's Employees
Senior Director of Strategy & Business Development
Dana works with the Strategy and Business Development Team to help ASCAP formulate strategy and enact its forward-thinking plans, aligning the organization with partners around the world.
Back to top