Software Engineer (Tech Lead), App Experience
- San Francisco, CA
At Asana, program leads (PLs) are responsible for the delivery and technical quality of our programs. They take on complex projects, lead the work of several ICs, partner with cross-functional and cross-organizational stakeholders, mentor team members in technical design and project leadership, and are also responsible for running team processes.
We're looking for an experienced technical leader to join as a program lead on the App Experience team, the team at Asana most focused on extending the Asana platform to enable powerful in-product connections between external tools and Asana via developer built apps. Our work is primarily focused on building frameworks and UI features for others to build on top of, which is a uniquely challenging engineering experience. It requires envisioning beyond what we know now, synthesizing commonalities across use cases, and designing solutions that can scale. This team thinks holistically about both the end user experiences we’re supercharging as well as anticipates the needs of the developers who are building on top of these capabilities we’re unlocking.
The opportunity space for this team is huge. We know work happens across many different tools today and having key apps experiences in Asana help our customers reduce context switching by simplifying the number of tools they need to manage. As the program lead of this team, you’ll have an opportunity to work cross-functionally with our Product Management and Design teams and collaborate with many other engineering teams across Asana to enable powerful apps experiences across all of our product surfaces. As part of this, you’ll also have the opportunity to work on fullstack features from building UI features, developing new frameworks, and working with complex data models and services on the backend.
What you’ll achieve
- Own technical design and project execution for the team, delegating this work to other engineers on the team when appropriate
- Mentor engineers on the team through activities like pairing and code reviews to promote a culture of technical excellence
- Make hands-on engineering contributions to Asana’s core product with a focus on overcoming tricky technical challenges and modeling practices that improve quality and velocity at scale
- Partner with Product Management, Design, and Engineering Management to define the team’s roadmap and long-term strategy
- Collaborate with many other teams across Asana with an opportunity to work across the full stack to build new high impact features
- 5+ years of experience working in large codebases
- 1+ years of experience leading a complex project end-to-end, or in a tech lead or team lead role
- Experience planning projects and managing team-wide efforts to completion
- Practiced at owning and delegating technical design decisions
- Experience working cross-functionally with stakeholders and PM/Design/Data Science partners to define requirements, make tradeoffs, and align on long-term plans
- Excited to work in a unique problem space that involves building user facing features but in a framework that will scale across many use cases. Previous experience working on a platform related team is a plus.
- Deep care for fostering collaboration and psychological safety among team members
- Passionate about coaching and mentoring engineers of all experience levels
- Appreciate productivity and care deeply about helping teams collaborate more effectively and efficiently, including your own
- Excited to be a part of an inclusive culture where everyone brings their whole selves to work
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world, from small businesses to large enterprises, rely on Asana to manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.
Back to top