We’re looking for an Infrastructure Software Engineer with experience in storage/online data systems and a strong passion for Reliability/Operability. You will work with a world-class team of engineers on building software systems to manage Asana’s online storage infrastructure, deploying and operating our storage technologies, and solving challenges unique to our problem space. We are looking for big thinkers and innovators to take on the problem space and deliver elegant solutions.
The Core Storage Infrastructure team builds the foundational cloud storage layer for Asana that includes sharded relational storage (MySQL) and search infrastructure (Elastic Search). We build and operate the software for storage reliability that enables Asana’s scalability, performance, and robustness. We also own and facilitate infrastructure around data lifecycle management, database sharding, and data model flexibility. Each day, we combine industry best-practices and innovation to support Asana. There are plenty of unsolved and unique problems to work on in the team.
What you’ll achieve
You will have a unique opportunity to design, develop, and operate the core storage layer that powers Asana’s fast-growing user data and evolving feature set. You will be a key contributor to the future of storage Infrastructure at Asana and collaborate to influence projects within other engineering teams. You will enable engineers to roll-out new features and services safely - through tooling, best practices, and production readiness reviews. You will experience the internals and best practices of running applications in the cloud (AWS) and relevant state-of-the-art infrastructure tooling.
Day to day you will:
- Produce high-quality design and code to build frameworks, services, and the necessary tooling to build and scale Asana’s core storage infrastructure
- Analyze problems, consider alternative solutions/trade-offs, and make key technical implementation decisions related to our storage systems
- Keep our services up and running by being part of our on-call rotation; investigate and resolve production issues
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to define service oriented architecture, enable application features, and help guide engineering vision at Asana
- Evangelize good code and solid engineering and operability practices
- Support design reviews, communicate constraints, and help engineers make the right trade-offs
- Have expertise in programming and computer science, and strong interest in distributed systems
- 5+ years writing and shipping production code
- 2+ years of experience building and scaling high-volume storage/online data systems (e.g. databases, search infrastructure)
- 2+ years experience in operating highly available, user-facing production services
- Are looking for a blameless and open environment where you and your teammates empower one another moving towards a shared goal
- Are willing and able to collaborate with different roles and functions across Asana with a keen sense of empathy
- You’re a fast learner and can contribute from day one
Nice to have
- Experience with MySQL on AWS (RDS)
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Good understanding of data stores (SQL, NoSQL, Search) and internals
- Familiarity with AWS Services (IAM, DynamoDB, RDS, EKS, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience of SRE principles (and have opinions about)
- Experience building scalable, highly-available service oriented architectures
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.