API Engineer San Francisco, CA
The goal of the Platform team is to make Asana engagement explode. To do this, we've enabled developers (and enterprise customers) to extend our product via external software and services. The API team, a subset of the Platform team, designs and builds most of the public API for new and existing features. We work closely with the PM and Developer Relations teams, and are supported by our own infrastructure team for shared infrastructure needs. At Asana, we care deeply about creating a superlative user experience and this extends to developers too. That's why we want an API that is comprehensive enough to encompass a range of developer needs.
You will be responsible for taking the Asana developer experience to the next level. We have had an external API for nearly 5 years, and we're cranking up our developer investment. We're looking for someone to add strong interface design and developer empathy to the team. You will be combining tried and true software engineering and API best practices with many of the innovative ideas that our in-house framework, LunaDb, already offers to web applications.
- Design pragmatic, RESTful API endpoints that fit in with the rest of our API
- Implement endpoints, address issues, improve performance
- Build infrastructure that's specific to our APIs, e.g. serving webhooks with low latency
- Serve as on-call for our API, e.g. responding to API abuse impacting our databases
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Experience building APIs, preferably for external developers
- Passion for creating a superlative developer experience, down to those little details that matter
- Empathy towards developers, e.g. when making design decisions and breaking changes
- Well rounded throughout the stack, capable of building infrastructure and product code (UI not necessary)
- Derive job satisfaction from abstracting and refactoring
- Personal projects that demonstrate your experience using APIs
Does the above sound like it might be you? Then we'd love to hear from you. Our goal is to provide a hiring and working experience in which all people feel they are equally respected and valued. So whatever it is that makes you unique—your gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, educational background, socioeconomic status—we value it, and we'd love to see what you might add to our team.
Meet Some of Asana's Employees
Lifecycle Marketing Lead
Reigan is responsible for creating a customer journey and life cycle that feels cohesive and consistent—and provides value to the customer, from beginning to end.
Back to top