Data Science Manager, Business
We're looking for someone who is passionate about helping others contribute more and develop in their roles. You'll focus on guiding the data scientists who partner with Asana's business teams. You are someone who enjoys the challenge of balancing speed of results with robust statistical practice, deciding when to bias for one or the other based on business goals, as well as creating processes for your team that help them do the same. You are as enthusiastic about building and mentoring a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. Because the team is growing but still small now, you will start out spending some of your time partnering with business teams yourself, contributing work in experimentation, analysis and modeling.
You will be a part of the Data Science team, focused on providing rich insights into how customers use Asana, designing and evaluating experiments that shape product and business direction, building models for both data-powered product features and internal operations, and advising teams around the company on the rigorous use of behavioral data for decision-making.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage a team of 4-5 data scientists partnering with Asana's business teams (e.g. sales, marketing, customer success, and user operations)
- Implement team practices that empower business partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- Guide data scientists in their technical and professional development
- Work closely with recruiting and other data team managers to expand the team
- Make your own hands-on contributions to the team’s data science work — designing and analyzing experiments, building ML models, and answering key questions with data
- Experienced in managing a data science team solving business problems
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with marketing, sales and customer operations on both large, strategic data projects and small, routine requests
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Substantial expertise in experimental design and analysis, particularly with messy real-world data
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational data modeling and SQL
Asana is a leading work management platform, helping more than 70,000 organizations and millions of users across 195 countries organize and manage all of their work, including AB-InBev, Airbnb, AllBirds, KLM Air France, Kohl's, NASA, Panera, Sephora, Uber, Viessmann Group and Vox Media. Asana has been named a Top 5 Best Place to Work by FORTUNE three years in a row, and one of Glasdoor's and Inc.'s Best Places to Work. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Dublin, Sydney, Vancouver, and Reykjavík, Asana is always looking for curious, collaborative people to be a part of our inclusive culture and help us achieve our mission.
Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of all educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, ages, citizenships, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.
Back to top