Underwriting Manager for Financial Institutions
- New York, NY
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
Due to a growing book of business, we are looking for an exceptional Underwriting Manager for Financial Institutions to join our team and work in our Chicago (IL) office. This is a production underwriting position responsible for marketing, underwriting and processing of Financial Institutions lines of business.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Actively participate in the achievement of monthly and annual profitability and production goals and objectives for the diversified financial institution Management Liability Group. Be a key contributor and help build and selectively manage portfolio's overall GWP, LR and CR objectives.
- Underwrite and analyze new business and renewal submissions for Financial Institutions. Areas of focus include Investment Advisers, Mutual Funds, Insurance Companies, Private Equity and REITS.
- Ensure our marketing initiatives are achieved and that consistent communication of our products and services are provided to our retail and wholesale brokers.
- Further develop existing broker relations as well as establish new relationships in targeted territories to attract business opportunities.
- Actively participate in client and broker meetings.
- Develop and maintain a submission pipeline sufficient to achieve overall production and business mix objectives.
- Use market contacts to bring in Financial Institutions business, gather and share market intelligence and cross sell Argo Pro and other Argo Group products.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- A genuine excitement to not only meet, but exceed, our customer's expectation on each and every interaction with the customer.
- Demonstrated robust and productive relationships with professional liability specialist brokers in the Central U.S., marketplace.
- A minimum of ten years underwriting experience in financial institution underwriting of management or professional lines
- A relentless desire to continually update your skill level through continuing education and self-development (we're a bit fanatical about this, so you should be too). So having your bachelor's degree from an accredited university or previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designations are strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills, achieving favorable outcomes in win/win negotiations.
- We work in a fast paced environment that is evolving constantly; so flexibility and the ability to thrive in change are important to be successful here. Oh, as is being resourceful on your own.
- A strong focus on execution in getting things done right. We are looking for people with a proven ability to consistently produce and deliver expected results.
- Excellent ability to collect, gather, manipulate and analyze information in detail to draw conclusions on how to underwrite an account profitably.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time.
In addition, you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are how we get the job done:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks), and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which got us named in Training magazine as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flex time, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote or Home Working, Sabbatical Leave and Summer Hours that give our employees the balance they need to excel at their jobs.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Back to top