- San Francisco, CA
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
Our book is growing and to meet the demand we are looking for an exceptional Underwriter Trainee to join our team and work in our San Francisco (CA) office. This is a production underwriting position responsible for marketing, underwriting and processing of Financial Institutions lines of business.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Under supervision, analyze and underwrite new and renewal submissions.
- Learn and develop an understanding of the professional lines insurance marketplace. This includes policy contract language and intent.
- Take accounts through the new business and renewal process including but not limited to quote, bind and issue.
- Participate in the marketing and communication of our products and services to our retail and wholesale brokers.
- Develop broker relations as well as establish new relationships to attract business opportunities.
- Attend client and broker meetings as requested with other Argo Pro representatives.
- Become aware and informed of the evolving economic and insurance marketplace to form basis of understanding of professional lines underwriting trends, legal developments and concerns.
- Special projects and assignments as requested.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- A genuine excitement to not only meet but exceed our customer's expectation on each and every interaction with the customer.
- An ongoing desire to continually improve and enhance your skill level through continuing education and self-development.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited university (preferable in finance or economics)
- Ability to negotiate a strong position while balancing the needs of the client and our underwriting strategy
- Adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness to meet the demands of a fast-paced environment that is constantly evolving
- A strong focus on execution in getting things done right. We are looking for people with a proven ability to consistently produce and deliver expected results.
- Excellent ability to collect, analyze and apply information within our underwriting guidelines with accuracy and good judgment
- We look for individuals that can take direction and suggestions but can demonstrate a resourcefulness and initiative to attempt resolutions on their own.
- A working knowledge of computer programs, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Excellent organization skills, strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to interact and communicate with various levels of the organization to cross sell or address processing requirements.
- Ability to work independently with guidance and procedures provided.
In addition, you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are how we get the job done:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks), and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which got us named in Training magazine as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flex time, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote or Home Working, Sabbatical Leave and Summer Hours that give our employees the balance they need to excel at their jobs.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Back to top