Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Argo Property offers primary and excess capacity up to $50 million. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions to our customers. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are looking for a highly capable Sr. Property Underwriter to join our team and work from any of our US offices or remotely. The Sr. Property Underwriter will support the Property business through effective underwriting of new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Underwrite new and renewal property business coming from appointed wholesale Surplus Lines Brokers.
- Establish and communicate underwriting profit goals and other measurements including loss ratio, new business development, policy count, account retention, etc.
- Analyze individual risks and book of business results to manage and control underwriting exposure and pricing strategy consistent with company objectives.
- Assist with Portfolio Management and Aggregate Management to ensure that Catastrophe writings do not exceed the risk tolerance of the Company.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships within and outside Argo Group to develop and drive new business opportunities. Work with internal and external business units to develop joint business plans, value propositions and cross-marketing programs.
- Represent the company at networking functions and other industry-related events that present and promote departmental initiatives to other external constituencies as appropriate.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships within and outside Argo Group to develop and drive new business opportunities.
- Collaborate with internal and external business units to develop joint business plans, value propositions and cross-marketing programs.
- Act as a role model demonstrating belief in, and commitment to, the aspiration values of Argo Group, continuing to build and lead a value-based organization committed to long-term success.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university and at least 5 years of industry experience.
- Experience with large layered and shared property placements.
- Experience handling catastrophe-exposed accounts (high hazard wind, high hazard earthquake, etc.) with an understanding of catastrophe modeling and pricing.
- Demonstrates strong ability to partner with finance, actuarial, IT and marketing resources.
- Demonstrates significant contribution to underwriting profit.
- Independent decision maker - takes full responsibility for making decisions and consequences associated with decisions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the E & S external market and contributes to the development of business strategy.
- Have established relationships with external clients and professional network.
- Continually seeks opportunities for niche products and potential agent opportunities.
- Effective oral and written communication, including influence and negotiation skills.
- Experience in delivering presentations to all internal and external audiences.
- Proficient in the use of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
In addition, you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are how we get the job done:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks) and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning - which is why Training magazine named us as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote or Home Working, Sabbatical Leave and Summer Hours.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.