Senior Underwriter - Marine - Milan or Zurich
- Milan, Italy
Main Purpose of Role
Reporting to the European CUO and providing support in delivering our profitable long-term growth and profit plans across Europe (excluding Lloyd's) with responsibilities for achieving performance and income targets, planning and underwriting governance, whilst supporting the build up of the functional infrastructure.
This role will focus on building a profitable Marine (Cargo/Logistics/Specie) book in Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Nordics and support our existing book in France and Benelux. Furthermore the Lob Head for Europe will develop a cohesive underwriting strategy for Marine in Europe in line with the wider underwriting strategy for Argo Group and our ambitions in Europe.
Managing the portfolio and achieving the planned underwriting margin result, with specific emphasis on the following Key Performance Indicators as set for each calendar year:
oGross Accident Year Loss Ratio;
oRate Change and Retention;
oBusiness Mix or Segmentation;
oPortfolio Optimisation (where applicable).
Maintaining our key relationships on major account and developing new opportunities and relationships with Brokers and Coverholders.
Ensuring appropriate, accurate and timely management reports are produced when required.
Using underwriting discipline and experience to carry out individual case underwriting as well as managing binders and delegated authorities.
Supporting the development of guidelines and procedures regarding risk exposure, renewal, acceptance, modification, and declinature. Providing assistance to other underwriters on more complex applications and help building over time a Marine network across Europe.
Being a champion for delivering our European objectives through the application of a disciplined underwriting and controls.
Providing technical underwriting supervision of, and guidance to, European marine underwriters, including supporting their training and development needs. Supporting and influencing the recruitment, retention and development of "A" Players within Europe marine underwriting.
- Execution of underwriting strategy
- Achievement of business plan targets
- Underwriting individual risks and binders. Managing Delegated authorities to selected strategic partners
- Developing and maintaining a profitable Marine portfolio across Europe
- Providing underwriting support and feedback on complex cases
- Building new relationships with Brokers and Cover-holders
- Contributing to the development of new products
- Maintaining superior product and market knowledge
- Ensure the production of appropriate and accurate management reports
- Knowledge of one of the major European markets, any additional country/market knowledge will be beneficial
- Extensive knowledge and underwriting experience of Marine products
- Case level underwriting experience on both Binders and Open Market business
- Technical underwriting knowledge (analytical and wording expertise) in both Cargo and Logistics Liability
- Experience of portfolio management - familiar with relevant KPIs and how to steer of a book
- Thinking customer, having a customer centric approach
- Team Player - ability to work well in a team as well as on own initiative
- Willingness to learn and share: Capturing new risk developments rapidly and work closely with colleagues around the world Travel across Europe and regularly to London
- Travel across Europe and regularly to London
- Multi-lingual (fluent English and at least two other European languages)
- Analytical - able to perform Financial Statement Analysis, capture the legal, economic and social environment of our clients.
- Technical underwriting - ability to determine the appropriate scope and coverage required based on risk analysis
- Communication (oral) -articulate with the ability to be concisely and accurate in communications. Communicates well. Keeps people informed.
- Communication (written) - ability to write clear, precise and well organised reports
- Collaboration - readily share knowledge and keen to participate in conferral-based discussions
- Relationship building - establish and maintain good working relationships with internal and external parties
- Organisational Skills and project management - provide support, deliver on tasks and meet deadlines
- Legal and Compliance - good knowledge of legal and compliance issues affecting the insurance industry;
- Prioritisation and attention to detail - must have excellent skills in both of these competencies.
- Negotiation - Achieves favourable outcomes in win/win negotiations.
- Risk taking - Takes calculated risks, with generally favourable outcomes.
- Results or outcome orientation - Accomplishes the intended results to meet quality and time expectations.
- Team Player - reaches out to peers. Overcomes we-they. Approachable.
- Requires bachelor's degree or equivalent professional qualifications / relevant experience
- Technical underwriting and an understanding of wordings preferably acquired in an insurance company underwriting environment
- Strong commercial skills with the ability to interact confidently with business colleagues and management based worldwide
- Proficient in Excel, Access, Word and Powerpoint.
- Strong statistical analysis skills.
- 10+ years of underwriting experience
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Back to top