- Portland, OR
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Underwriter to join our team and work from any of our US offices or remotely. The purpose of this role is to profitably increase premium writings in our retail book of business which consists of leading middle market retailers that generate premiums exceeding $200,000 and to use consultative selling skills to select qualified risks and offer pricing with terms and conditions that meet financial targets.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Use effective written and verbal communication skills to negotiate new business and renewal terms and conditions with agency distribution partners.
- Gather public and private data sources to better understand the operations of large and highly complex business prospects and clients.
- Utilize pricing tools designed by our actuary staff to determine appropriate premium ranges that meet our financial goals.
- Evaluate terms and conditions to ensure that proper coverage forms are placed in accordance with our underwriting guidelines.
- Ensure customer service standards are met for the processing of quote proposals, policy issuance and endorsements.
- Coordinate data entry and underwriting support functions with underwriting assistants and outsource partners.
- Schedule account performance reviews with claims and loss prevention to present to agents and policyholders.
- Develop consultative sales skills to differentiate our digital based risk management approach to sophisticated clients.
- Provide technical leadership in the department and actively seek continuous improvement including the training and development of less experienced team members.
- Understanding financial statements and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and company information.
- Keeping up to date on emerging trends in the retail grocery and restaurant industries.
- Responsible for producing new accounts from assigned group of agents/brokers or designated geographic area.
- Through a disciplined sales management approach, develop and leverage productive agency and client relationships based on a high level of visibility with agents, brokers and clients.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- A minimum of seven years' underwriting experience, preferably with knowledge of property, general liability, auto and Workers' Compensation lines of business.
- A relentless desire to continually update your skill level through continuing education and self-development. A bachelor's degree from an accredited university is required. Please note four additional years of related underwriting experience beyond the minimum experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- A genuine excitement to not only meet, but exceed, our customer's expectation on each and every interaction with the customer.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
In addition, you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are the key to our success:
- We desire to excel.
- We are committed to our clients and to each other.
- We have the courage to do the right thing.
- We apply original thinking.
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which got us named in Training magazine as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
About Argo Group
- According to Forbes magazine, Argo Group is among America's 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies for the last two years and an A.M. Best Rating of 'A' (Excellent) for 13 consecutive years.
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees to have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We offer a work environment that inspires innovation and is open to employee suggestions. We even offer rewards for creative and innovative ideas.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Back to top