JOB TITLE: Director, Data Governance
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: VP, Group Data
JOB PURPOSE: The Director of Data Governance will lead and execute Data Governance activities at Argo Group. This position will take ownership of developing the company's Data Governance and Data Management program throughout the organization. In addition, the Director will be responsible for providing leadership and direction for all organization-wide data governance activities with a focus on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework.
The Director of Data Governance must be self-directed and self-driven. They must be comfortable operating in a nebulous environment and establishing order. This leader must be a leader first, but also comfortable rolling up their sleeves and leading by example when needed. They will need to operate at both strategic (establishing direction) and tactical (providing detailed guidance, and troubleshooting) levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive data governance initiatives and lead the establishment of a Data Governance Program
- Develop the enterprise data governance structure; establish a data governance committee and define data governance roles, accountability and ownership, and decision rights; lead realization of data as an asset.
- Define the system of record as a "single-source of truth" for each data element; resolve multiple sources of truth issues with key stakeholders via clear definitions of elements.
- Implement best practices for management, manipulation and capture of data.
- Work in conjunction with Executive Leadership and liaise with multiple business and support teams across the global enterprise on complex data governance projects.
- Partner with Business and IT Stakeholders to develop Data Governance Roadmap, including enterprise wide Data Quality Framework and an Information Model
- Facilitate bi-directional communication of strategies, priorities and issues
- Define and communicate Data Governance roles and responsibilities
- Works with the business units to ensure data ownership and quality, and with Argo's CISO on cybersecurity to ensure data security
- Drive organizational behavior change as it relates to the use of data; realizing vision of data managed as an asset
- Define Data Governance roles, accountability, and ownership and decision rights.
- Collaborate with Sr Data Architect to ensure facilitation of consistent data quality control and optimization in EDW at enterprise level
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or Business Administration or 7+ yrs. related field experience
- 5+ years working in a Data Governance leadership role
- 3+ years experience with Master Data Management
- 5+ years working in the Insurance or Financial Services industry is preferred
- Credible across both business and IT
- Ability to engage resources outside of direct-control to achieve objectives
- Strong understanding of insurance operational processes, data, systems landscape
- Demonstrable experience standing up a data governance practice
- Experience with one or more data governance tools
- Demonstrates strong problem solving capabilities
- Willing and able to overcome challenges and roadblocks to enable the business to meets it goals
- Communicate effectively in both verbal (i.e. day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written (requirements and design specifications) form, as well as have an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications.
- Comfortable communicating with all audiences from highly technical engineers to non-technical executives in both written and verbal channels
- Actively listens to customers and teams
- Builds good relationships with peers, executives and other departments
- Cares about the quality of the product systems and the success of the organization
- Expresses opinion on solutions and does not allow bad solutions
- High sense of urgency to meet commitments
- Will go outside of primary role if needed to help drive success
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.