Team Lead, Senior Software Engineer Real Time Platform (Distributed Systems Golang, C/C++, or Java)
Senior Software Engineer – Team Lead, Real Time Platform
The AppNexus Platform was built upon the foundation that we could help our clients buy and sell media in the most effective and efficient way possible. In the past 3 years, we've grown from processing 300k QPS to over 5 million QPS for an approximate total of 100 billion requests per day.
Building on the foundation of the AppNexus platform, we released Prebid Server as an open source header bidding solution. Our Engineering team that supports Prebid has a history of providing support to a large base of publishers – actively providing new and innovative features and functionality. Be prepared to take on the challenges of scaling this new real time business platform and working with a community of engineers committed to building the best in class offerings.
As a Team Lead working on our Real Time Platform, you’ll have the opportunity to quickly see the impact of your contributions to our clients and end users. You will spend your half your time writing code and the other half leading a team of Engineers to solve problems that face online publishers in a variety of areas.
Consider some of the problems you will work on:
- Large-scale distributed systems: Design, maintain and build systems at scale. Our Platform requires pushing updates on millions of objects to thousands of machines using our custom caching solution all while observing strict SLA requirements.
- Interesting algorithmic problems: Use the latest research and techniques to make full use of the underlying hardware and instruction sets, utilizing things like lock-free data structures and intelligent thread design to optimize revenue, memory footprint, and overall algorithmic efficiency.
- Collaborate with Open Source: Contributing to a growing open source project and leverage the community to continue growing and scaling the project while increasing quality and bringing innovative features to market.
- Prototype to Production: As a bold company where Engineers work right alongside Product Managers, we go from iterating & validating a new concept with beta customers to developing it into production-quality code.
About the job:
- Provide technical oversight and feedback to a small team of engineers.
- Design and implement scalable solutions including new features and enhancements of our Platform and Prebid Server, the most recognized open source solution in header bidding.
- Participate and help lead planning sessions with Product Management and Engineering team leads to construct feature requirements and specifications.
- Produce prototype features quickly and participate in gathering feedback from clients.
- Bring innovation to the team in new features, improving build processes and product development lifecycle.
- Participate in code review sessions and provide feedback to increase code efficiency, maintainability and robustness.
- Support and debug production level issues and provide fixes in an expedient manner.
- Mentor junior engineers on best practices in software development
About your skills:
- BS degree in computer science or related field and 5+ years of software development experience.
- Experience using Golang, C/C++, or Java, with excellent and creative problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated skill in designing and architecting large-scale systems infrastructures.
- Experience with leading small teams.
- Experience building high performance, multi-threaded, distributed systems and applications, preferably in a Linux environment
- Strong fundamental understanding of generalized architecture patterns and service oriented architecture (SOA)
- Experience with real-time data processing engines, ultra-low-level, and low latency systems is preferred
- Experience with orchestration tools preferred (Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins etc).
More about you:
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools
AppNexus is proud to offer equal opportunity in all aspects of employment. We strive to foster a diverse, inclusive and engaging work environment. We welcome applications from all candidates and look forward to receiving yours! Our inclusivity in action:
- Partnering with Path Forward to offer returnships to help caregivers reenter the workforce
- Sharing feedback openly through roundtable discussions on how to make progress on our Diversity & Inclusion goals
- Galvanizing diversity and inclusion through our affinity groups (including OutNexus, AppNexus Women’s Network, AppNexus Latino Alliance and BlackNexus to name just a few!)
- Partnering with Fairygodboss to support our commitment to women’s advancement in tech
- Providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, both for interviewees and for employees. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know at your earliest convenience so that we may make arrangements
Back to top