Senior Software Engineer, Back-End & Web Services
AppNexus develops and maintains both internal and external services to programmatically run applications without making a single database connection. Our back-end applications & services are able to operate read/write access to the business objects that drive ad serving and bidding at AppNexus. These tools enhance complex workflow rules and validations, expose terabytes of ad serving analytics and performance data, and enable our clients to better analyze and optimize their campaigns. Our system is flexible and powerful enough to handle high-volume requests distributed across data centers on three continents! This is an energizing community of engineers committed to building dependable products – the software this team builds creates adaptable and resilient platforms that support our clients' growing needs as their businesses continuously expand.
Consider some of the problems you will try to solve
- Overcoming scale challenges: How do we maintain speed, availability, and reliability as our client base grows and the number of objects and relationships within our system increases exponentially?
- Contribute to the growth of a mature platform as we continue to use open source technologies (such as Sphinx, Memcached, Java, Scala and the LAMP stack) to increase up-time and reduce latency.
- Build a new microservice-based platform, which enables our engineering teams to continue to grow and develop products quickly and with minimal bottlenecks.
- Build our own API framework for our internal Engineers that is light, powerful, and specifically optimized for our tasks, while removing potentially asynchronous tasks from the critical path to keep response times low.
About the job:
- Design and Develop maintainable, reliable, scalable and testable enterprise-level, services-based software
- Collaborate within a small functional team with diverse technology backgrounds
- Deploy regular code releases to production and test environments
- Participate in design discussions about new features and approaches to implementing new services
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior developers
About your skills:
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of experience OR MS degree and 1+ years of experience in software engineering (Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred)
- Thorough understanding and work experience in in any of the following languages: Java, Scala, Python
- Demonstrated skill in designing and architecting large systems
- Strong database skills
- Knowledge of RESTful Web services
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Ability to work independently and make use of your time effectively
- Experience using debuggers, profilers and other development tools
More about you:
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools
Want to know more about AppNexus? Explore the links below to learn about our values, why we like to work here, and how we hire!
Back to top