Posted: Jan 4, 2021
Role Number: 200201771
Envision what you could do here!! At Apple, we believe new ideas and insights have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly!! Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the rare and great opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight, inspire and encourage millions of Apple's customers every single day. As a Wireless Phy Systems Engineer, you will be a core member of our highly innovative and visible Wireless System-on-Chip (SoC) design team that defines modem architectures, develops physical-layer algorithms, and invents embedded DSP algorithms for chips enabling exciting new wireless applications. One emphasis of your specific role will be end-to-end simulation of sophisticated systems, modeling components from a multitude of signal processing disciplines including propagation channel modeling, RF/antenna abstractions, PHY & MAC protocols and algorithms, and sensor fusion schemes to fuse wireless and non-wireless metrics. Application areas include ultra-wideband sensing and specialized wireless audio; products enabled or improved by our team's SoC's include specialized audio headsets (such as AirPods) and iPhones.
- We are looking for an individual with at least ~7 years of expertise in Digital Signal Processing, Wireless Communications, and wireless chip development
- Solid grasp of complex wireless systems with strong capability to comprehend dependencies between system components and protocol layers and their interactions
- Extensive hands-on SW programming skills for modeling and simulation of sophisticated systems from RF/PHY layer signals and channel modeling all the way to MAC protocol/networking simulations; corresponding proficiency with Matlab/C/C++ required
- Experience with fixed-point design and RTL vector generation. HLS experience is a plus
- Experience with handling and processing large amounts of field and simulation data, including user-friendly visualization of complex test setups and simulation results, including measurement accuracies, system latencies, etc.
- Some familiarity with common analog/RF impairments encountered in wireless systems
- Experience with and/or knowledge of industry standards such as Bluetooth, Ultra-Wideband, GPS, and/or other wireless protocols
- Experience in lab FPGA/silicon bring-up, PHY/RF/MAC testing and debugging and usage of lab equipment
- Some experience in IMU and/or camera/image signal processing, and/or some prior engagements in standards organizations or industry consortia are strong pluses
Work closely with other PHY systems and algorithm engineers, analog and digital designers, FW & SW Engineers in the above areas to invent/derive, simulate, implement, verify and test physical layer features, to make new chips and enable a variety of novel applications in the portable & wearable consumer electronics space Collaborate with cross-functional teams to model, simulate, and visualize the performance of complex systems from user movement, wireless propagation models, and RF/antenna behavior, via PHY/MAC protocols and associated signal processing mechanisms, all the way to simulating inertial sensor fusion processing
Education & Experience
Ph.D. or MSEE with focus on Dig. Comm's & Signal Proc, or equivalent.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.