System Technology/Application Controls Engineer: Battery Management Systems
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Oct 11, 2019
Role Number: 200111631
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Are you interested to work on the forefront of Battery Management Systems?In this role you will develop future BMS technologies with a hardworking team of engineers in a highly reciprocal and multi-functional environment. The ideal individual will be proficient in this field, who has experience developing and commercializing robust battery management solutions for consumer, industrial, telecom or automotive products. Be a part of a team developing new class of battery systems involving algorithms, architectures and products as we improve the utility of batteries.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in innovative and creative product development in battery management domain and/or experience in the design of portable high-volume, high quality, low-power products for the consumer electronics market.
- Experience with customer interfacing to understand their system, requirements, and problems to define a system level solution
- Experience with complex control loops that may involve SW/OS, custom IC, multiple input/outputs to interact with the BMS system.
- Experience with BMS power/energy prediction, charging, and gauging algorithms as well as experience with development of cell and control plant models
- Experience with the embedded system design, FW architecture synthesis, SW/FW life cycle management, programming languages and tools
- Experience in prototyping, characterization, debugging and system integration of mixed-signal hardware that collaborates with or controlled by embedded FW.
- Experience working with multi-functional team to design and integrate analog circuits and digital interfaces into system, including FW/HW and SW/FW reviews, production SW test support, manufacturing SW support, SW/FW/HW system validation, FW/HW bench characterization and troubleshooting.
- Experienced in developing SW/FW specifications/requirements and functional decomposition from top-level system requirements down to IC datasheets for mix-signal & embedded systems that incorporate custom defined ICs.
- Experienced in working with silicon teams to drive digital & embedded system requirements/specifications, architecture/feature trade-offs and design compliance.
- Familiarity with detailed workings of different battery chemistries and their limitations.
- Familiarity with simulation and modeling tools like Matlab is a plus
Our systems team within the Battery Management System (BMS) organization is a critical and highly reciprocal team. We bridge the domain/knowledge gap between the application platform and the internal/external technology teams to define and deliver a distributed BMS that enables the application to achieve world-class control on energy and power throughout the entire product life-cycle. We engage in the following: 1. Translating a deep comprehension of the application system's challenges, problems, and roadmap into the BMS domain that includes algorithm, firmware, and hardware 2. Driving the convergence of distributed BMS architecture's among the different technology components partners and synthesizing sub-system requirements and specifications 3. Synthesizing BMS roadmap, architecture, and system designs that are solutions to both identified and foreseeable application platform problems 4. Leading teams to execute the roadmap and validating a BMS system before delivery to the application 5. Embedding resources within the application and multi-functional teams to integrate the BMS into the platform and then supporting the application platform verification & validation 6. Identifying the right problems to solve longer term R&D The hardware technology/application engineer will bring deep BMS and application knowledge across all Apple platforms and work hand-in-hand with each platform's lead system engineer to simultaneously support the validation/integration on the next generation product, define the roadmap for following product, and innovate the architecture of future products. The software technology/application engineer will lead all control system aspects of design and validation during the execution phase and be supported by the application system team, the technology teams within the BMS organization, as well as core team that represents the sub-system that interact with the BMS.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD desired in Physics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering
- Strong aptitude towards detailed and rigorous work emphasizing on simple and elegant designs for mass production. Strong presentation and leadership skills. Ability to develop reciprocal networks among peers and multi-functional teams quickly. Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills. Self-starter with excellent time management skills and forward-thinking spirit. Relies on data to support technical decisions. Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected.
Back to top