- Boulder, CO
Posted: Jul 9, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200180360
The panel process and optics (PPO) team crafts and develops groundbreaking display technologies to support Apple's excellent product line. This includes total optimization & integration of display material, optics, and process to deliver outstanding optical, mechanical, and reliability performances. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. As part of Apple design and development team you will be working with some of the smartest and most hardworking people in the field, and will be contributing to exciting new products that will touch lives of millions and enrich your career with invaluable experience. We are looking for a skilled synthetic organic chemist with a consistent track record of design and synthesis of wide range of small molecules and proven understanding of polymer chemistry. Hands-on experience and an extensive background in total synthesis of small organic molecules and polymers is required. Specifically, we are looking for a scientist who understands photoactive compounds and UV chemistry processes. A successful candidate will work with a multi-functional team and external vendors to design, develop, and support materials development efforts for our next-generation products.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in small molecule synthesis and characterization of sophisticated photoactive systems (e.g. UV curable materials) with in-depth understanding of structure-process-property relationships of components and polymer products.
- Experience in fundamental failure analysis methodology to derive a root cause of failure
- Experience and knowledge in product development and ultimate translation to manufacturing
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid collaboration and leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Design, synthesis, and characterization of novel photo active compounds at both lab and pilot scale. This includes identifying and sourcing raw materials with desired functions, synthesis, characterization and process optimization. - Synthesis of high purity photoactive monomers, initiators, and other polymerizable materials to deliver products of desired specification. - Process of components into products with desired properties to meet Apple's product specifications - Develop and validate Critical-to-Quality (CTQ) metrics and quantitative analytical methods from raw material selection to formulation to final component fabrication to ensure all aspects of new product launch initiative are managed and controlled. - Correlate materials-level analytical data to final component/system performances to define materials-level and in-process specifications. - Lead efforts in failure analysis of both materials and component level issues and develop/validate effective solutions - Transfer synthesis and process findings and specifications to manufacturing partners through effective communication, training, and documentation - Work with multi-functional teams to investigate and explore new functional materials concepts, determine technical feasibility, and project implementation plan beyond initial proof of concept.
Education & Experience
M.S. degree or Ph.D. in Chemistry or Material Science.
Back to top