Surface Finishing Engineer Intern - 12 Month Term
Posted: Apr 30, 2019
Role Number: 200057103
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just build products - they build the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. As part of Manufacturing Design's Color, Material & Finish (CMF) team, you will create new highly cosmetic surface finishes. Work with Apple's Industrial Design and Product Design teams to develop surface finishes with new colors and textures. Match, pilot and scale new cosmetic finishes for production. We are actively seeking enthusiastic interns who can work full-time for 12 months.
- Experience developing finishing processes for mechanical components, preferably in a hands-on role developing new anodized cosmetic finishes on aluminum mechanical components
- Ability to plan, execute, and present results from investigations using your statistical analysis and clearly communicated results and recommendations
- Ability to drive root cause/corrective action activities
- Superior color discrimination ability
- Deep understanding of mechanical properties of materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements and process drivers
- Experience working with an international supply chain
- Ability to reconcile DFM feedback with design goals
- Utilize combined mechanical surface preparation (blasting, polishing, texturing) and decorative surface finishing techniques (anodizing, electroplating, PVD) to meet challenging new targets - Research new methods for creating new surface finishes and implementing tighter control of existing finishes - Evaluate manufacturing processes at early stages of product development to define critical process requirements and controls for tightest output - Plan and execute studies to confirm process capability to achieve high yields on high volume enclosures - Present analysis to key decision makers that will be used to make commercial, cosmetic and design commitments. Evaluate supplier capabilities and address shortcomings relative to company needs - Provide on-site support in conjunction with overseas counterparts for implementation of manufacturing processes at supplier locations - Build relationships with counterparts and suppliers, and further develop their capabilities and expertise. Maintain working knowledge of key process drivers and domain expertise in the technologies to serve as technical resource on project teams. Investigate and validate new surface finishing processes, techniques, and equipment where appropriate - Periodic domestic and overseas travel expected (Up to 30%)
Education & Experience
Meet Some of Apple's Employees
Every Apple Store is designed to engage its local community, and no one understands this more than Consuela. She motivates her team to engage with customers in new and exciting ways.
Back to top