Subject Matter Expert (SME) - Automation
Posted: Dec 20, 2019
Role Number: 200125520
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The SME will drive automation activities for stringent module manufacturing processes as part of Manufacturing Design's Automation team. Work with integrators, contract manufacturers, equipment vendors, and internal customers to develop advanced automation capabilities and implement them in the supply chain to exacting standards on tight project timelines.
- 5+ years of experience working on automation and robotics applications for mass production applications.
- Extensive experience designing, deploying, qualifying, supporting, and project managing automated manufacturing process lines that incorporate machine vision (including cameras, lighting, and programming), motion control (including actuators, motors, pneumatics) and sensors, with expertise in each of those component groups.
- Ability to reconcile DFM feedback with design goals, anticipate risk and identify mitigation opportunities, drive root cause/corrective action and process optimization activities to closure efficiently with proper design of experiment (DOE) practices and detailed data analysis using statistical methods such as process capability, correlation, GR&R, etc. and software such as JMP, Matlab, etc.
- Expertise with one or more major brand PLCs (Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Beckhoff, Siemens, Allen-Bradley, etc.) and various PLC programming languages including Ladder Diagram, Structured Text and Function Block Diagram.
- Fluent spoken and written English skills with clear, concise technical communications.
- Ability to work independently on a variety of demanding, concurrent projects.
- Overseas and occasional domestic travel required (~25%).
- Finally, a positive attitude with a detailed-oriented, hands-on approach, and a desire to drive innovation and create world-class products.
In this role you will drive automation activities (including machine vision and robotics) for key manufacturing processes in the enclosure and module spaces. The SME will work with engineering teams to identify automation needs and opportunities, provide design for automation feedback, conceptualize required automation, assess associated design/schedule risk, provide new technology capability analysis, negotiate deliverables, and create proof of concept where necessary. Partner with operations teams and contract manufacturers to evaluate automation implementation risk, create technical requirements/RFP package, assess capabilities of automation integrators, provide DFM feedback, support integrator down-select activities, and estimate automation costs and capabilities. Work with integrators to drive design reviews, execute proof of concept, maintain and resolve issues lists, implement data logging and traceability requirements, review control logic and programming, and define qualification requirements for FAT/SAT. Provide onsite technical support at FAT/SAT, development builds, production builds, and production ramp as needed to ensure equipment capability, availability, and productivity. Coordinate above activities with overseas counterparts to push process capability, ensure timely completion of deliverables, and identify/mitigate risk ahead of schedule. Present detailed analysis to key decision makers to enable commercial and design decisions. Drive cutting-edge research and development activities both in-house and with industry partners to deliver step-change improvements to process capability. Maintain deep knowledge of equipment capabilities and key process drivers; keep abreast of latest industrial developments and leverage new technologies in novel ways to enable improved capabilities; serve as subject matter expert (SME) for project teams.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in engineering (mechanical, manufacturing, automation, robotics, or equivalent)
- Expertise with one or more major brand (ABB, KUKA, Fanuc, etc.) six-axis industrial robots, their textual programming languages (RAPID, KRL, Karel, etc.), and their offline programming (OLP) packages (RobotStudio, KUKA.Sim, Roboguide, etc.), or equivalents.
- Extensive experience using CAD to review and design mechanical components and assemblies, and create proper engineering part drawings using GD&T practices.
- Experience working overseas with international supply chains and contract manufacturers.
- Fluency in Mandarin is a plus.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.
Back to top