Streaming Performance Engineer
Posted: Nov 5, 2019
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200072045
The Interactive Media Group (IMG) is looking for an experienced software engineer to join our media streaming team. Join us and be part of the team that powers streaming experiences on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, HomePod, Apple Watch, and the Mac. You will be directly contributing to improving the security, quality, and performance of Apple's software.
- Deep understanding of Unix OS fundamentals
- Prior development experience in Unix, Linux, macOS or iOS
- Strong coding skills, preferably in C, Objective C, Python, Swift
- Strong experience in shell scripting, Python, Bash, Regex
- Knowledge of streaming media protocols: HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), DASH, RTSP, etc.
- Working knowledge of media codecs, formats, transports and container protocols, such as MPEG-2, H.264/AVC, AAC, AC3, MP4, TS, etc
- Deep knowledge and practical experience with building software on TCP and UDP networking APIs
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills using network analysis tools such as WireShark, Charles Proxy, tcpdump, etc.
- Experience using system profiling tools (e.g., Xcode instruments, Valgrind)
- Experience collecting and analyzing (interpreting) data sets through the use of statistical models, probability theory, etc.,
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- You have excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- You have an ability to stay focused and prioritize a heavy workload while achieving extraordinary quality
- You are upbeat, adaptable, and results oriented with a positive attitude
As a media streaming engineer in this role, you will be responsible for developing features, contributing to media systems design, analyzing performance, and tuning algorithms for streaming media playback. This individual should have development experience at multiple layers of the OS network stack and have experience building network delivery systems for media content.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in CS/CE or equivalent
Back to top