Sr. Engineer, Maps POI
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Nov 17, 2020
Role Number: 200163993
The Apple Maps Places of Interest (POI) team is looking for a great hands-on Senior Engineer. You will be working with a team of senior systems engineers that builds the platform to process, curate, and manage the POI data that is used in Maps. POI is a key pillar of the overall Maps product so you will directly influence the success and future of the Maps product and beyond.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- A track record of making a difference in the projects you drive
- Naturally accountable, responsible, self motivated and self sufficient
- Experience designing distributed systems/services for scale
- Experience working with: Cassandra, SOLR, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka and similar technologies in production contexts at scale
- Experience with geospatial, location based services
The POI platform is used by a wide variety of different teams within Apple beyond just the Maps team. Good accuracy, coverage, and richness of the POI data is what ensures a good user experience for Maps. This is a challenging problem as POI data is ever changing. In addition to the volatility of the data, the mapping space is growing with new and exciting features being proposed constantly. The Maps team is looking for software engineers that can thrive in this fast-paced workplace where both individual drive and team collaboration are keys to success. You will be expected to thoroughly understand the systems and their interdependencies, in order to optimally evaluate asks and push back and/or suggest alternatives. In addition to solid technical skills, candidates must also have: - strong interpersonal and communication skills - be self-starters with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership - comfortable with unknowns and have a learning mindset Finally, you will be helping to care for a system that serves the passions and needs of millions of customers, so we're looking for somebody who can be equally passionate!
Education & Experience
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field - 10+ years in Software Engineering Roles with a focus on back-end systems
- - Experience with distributed systems
- - Familiarity with OpenStreetMap (OSM) or commercial map data and tool chains
- - Experience with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL or SQL Server.
- - Experience scripting with Python, Bash, etc.
Back to top