Posted: Jan 6, 2022
Role Number: 200182128
Apple's Incubation Team develops prototype hardware systems that are fundamental to delivering future products and features. The team is seeking a skilled System Camera Design Engineer with strong capabilities in Camera Module & System design. This engineer will play an integral role for Apple, requiring an experienced, self-driven engineer with great initiative. The individual will be responsible for negotiating requirements definition, selection, development, and integration of cameras, sensors, and optics into prototype embedded hardware systems that represent future products. This role offers an incredible opportunity to work with and learn from experts in multiple disciplines, while supporting Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Photography applications that break new ground in Technology and User Experience.
- In-depth understanding of interdependence of all elements in a camera, from the first lens element through image sensor output, extending to basic understanding of ISP/image pipeline
- Basic working knowledge of electronics and signal integrity
- Some programming (C/C++) & scripting skills (Perl/Python), preferably with understanding of low-level software (firmware & drivers in C or C++)
- Ability to perform simple opto-mechanical/electrical assembly for quick prototypes; basic abilities in machining (drill, mill, lathe) preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including technical and executive presentations
- Understanding of Computer Vision, and/or Machine Learning & Deep Learning preferred
In this role, you will be essential to the delivery of future products & features. You'll have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class experts including electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and other software teams, and to propose, design, and build cutting-edge prototype hardware systems. Responsibilities include: - Collaborate with system and module teams, as well as computer vision algorithm teams, to interpret imaging and system requirements - Propose architectural solutions for imaging systems which incorporate all elements, such as intake lens, pickup device, interfaces, with consideration also to image signal processing, compression, data transfers, delivery methods to data consumers - Design and execute relevant optical and electro-optical experiments to determine and verify camera- and illumination-related specifications for prototype hardware - Build early proof-of-concept hardware - Execute plans with cross-functional teams and contract manufacturers to build, bring-up, debug, and validate designs - Document design, prepare presentations and present the designs for wider audience
Education & Experience
MS with 5+ years-or BS with 7+ years-industry experience in camera system design.
- Experience with digital camera systems characterization, including radiometry, photometry, light measurement as well as optical modeling & simulation tools (e.g, Zemax, CodeV) and familiarity with vocabulary of lens design, metrology, and their usage.
- Experience taking designs from concept to production, and taking designs through manufacturing and the product cycle.