Senior Environmental Analyst - Resources Early Engagement Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Feb 12, 2021
Role Number: 200192993
Are you passionate about reducing environmental impacts through innovative designs? Do you have a deep understanding of material production and want to apply that knowledge to affect real-world change? Are you comfortable working across a range of materials and applications and have a knack for using data to drive decision-making? Please read on! Apple's Environmental Technologies team is seeking a candidate to help us design world-leading products with lower environmental impacts. We use a combination of detailed accounting, comprehensive material modeling, and targeted technology engagements to drive strategic environmental initiatives. Our methods are rooted in an understanding of materials, focused on how materials are extracted and produced, how materials are recycled and recovered, and how these different routes affect material properties, material impurities, and material applications. We are data-driven, with an emphasis on accurately accounting for material use, identifying critical levers to reduce primary material use, and driving teams to reduce material use and/or use recycled materials. We also focus on recycling systems and material recovery systems, and how materials can be used in products to allow better material recovery at product end-of-life. We are determined to uncover where material impacts occur within our products and product supply chains, find opportunities to mitigate those impacts, and drive initiatives to reduce those impacts.
- Knowledge of material life cycles, from raw material extraction to end-of-life options for material recovery and recycling, with a particular focus on materials and recycling processes used in consumer electronics and industrial manufacturing.
- Knowledge of metal and mineral production and refining and recycling processes, including new, emerging technologies in hydrometallurgy, pyrometallurgy, and bio-metallurgy.
- Experience with developing process models and quantitative analyses for material extraction, synthesis, processing, recovery, and recycling.
- Comfortable with developing assumptions, working and making decisions with limited and imperfect data, taking appropriate risks, and quantifying and identifying sources of uncertainty.
- Familiarity with life-cycle assessment methods, modeling approaches, and applications is an advantage.
- Familiarity with environmental indicators and impacts, particularly with respect to resources and carbon.
- Scientific computing skills, including data analysis, visualization, and working with large datasets. Programming experience with Python, R, or similar is preferred.
As a member of our team, you'll work on practical design problems to support Apple's resources goals. You will work closely with a range of engineering and operations teams on a large variety of problems. Most projects will include gathering, developing, and integrating detailed material data, understanding material production methods and manufacturing processes, using these data and understanding to develop environmental guidance, and driving teams to adopt environmentally preferred material choices. You are a specialist in spreadsheets and data manipulation In this work you will also investigate and develop recycling technologies with other Apple teams to enable greater use of recycled materials in Apple products and to improve recovery of those materials from product end-of-life. You are a Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented individual with excellent at written and verbal communication skills. You are comfortable presenting to and working with both technical and non-technical teams
Education & Experience
BS degree required; MS and PhD degrees welcome; material science, material or chemical engineering, metallurgy, and/or related backgrounds are strongly preferred.
Back to top