Senior Engineer - Performance and R&D Architect
Posted: May 27, 2019
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200059055
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Join Apple's Cloud Services team as a Performance and R&D Architect. You will be key to establishing and implementing the best of Apple enterprise technologies and setting R&D processes, performance and automation, as well as identifying areas for improvement and adding your input to process improvements and the creation of new technologies. This position is responsible for working closely with various Engineering teams to develop, implement, execute, analyze, and communicate the results of performance tests for critical infrastructure and software running at scale on Apple Private Cloud IAAS.
- At least 5 years of experience architecting cloud scale software solutions
- Demonstrated experience in Function as a Service infrastructure and deployments
- Experience with AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Functions, Apache OpenWhisk, Microsoft Azure Functions
- Demonstrated experience with in modern day DevOps tools
- Deep working knowledge with data center scale software infrastructure including Orchestration Kubernetes, Open Stack, etc. and Micro-services Docker Containers, etc.
- Deep understanding of processor, memory, storage, network, acceleration and I/O technologies
- Deep understanding of Software Defined Networking and Software Defined Storage
- Good understanding for TCO metrics for FaaS and ability to positively influence changes to reduce TCO
- Working knowledge and experience with distributed software development tools such as Kafka, Cassandra, etc.Knowledge in Data Analytics and Machine Learning technologies
- Hands on ability to code to create proof of concepts etc.
Acts as the technical subject matter expert and technical leader with all things related to performance Establish and maintain a strong collaboration with the platform architecture group Develop a partnership with senior technical contributors to influence and help implement performance related test and track results Define and drive the Function as a Service solution software architecture Define and drive innovations around hardware and software to deploy best in class FaaS Define and drive event-driven, instantly scalable, micro services along with monitoring, service assurance, and billing infrastructure Garner insights from telemetry and workloads, use machine learning and AI methods to drive continuous composition of pod scale heterogeneous infrastructure to maximize performance and TCO Create an architecture to seamlessly integrate with industry leading FaaS ecosystem as well as define and drive additional improvement to the FaaS working groups and ecosystems Drive requirements into silicon, platforms and systems. Participate in design and code reviews Collect and report on key performance metrics Troubleshoot performance issues in a complex large-scale, multi-tier cloud based infrastructure Develop and maintain scripts and tools to load simulated test data to test environments Determine future performance needs and architectural changes based on the continued growth of the company
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Back to top