Semi-Custom Physical Design Engineer
- Chestnut Hill, MA
Posted: Nov 17, 2020
Role Number: 200204488
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people's lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? We have an opportunity for a forward-thinking and unusually hardworking Semi-Custom Physical Design Engineer. As a member of our multidimensional group, you will have the rare and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple's customers every single day.
- In this role, you will be part of the Analog Mixed Signal (AMS) team collaborating with architecture, Circuits, CAD, timing and logic design teams, with a critical impact on delivering outstanding Semi-Custom Physical Designs. You will be required to do semi-custom high speed and ultra-low power physical designs of state-of-the-art mixed-signal designs.
- Preferred at least 5+ years of physical design experience on mixed-signal and/or SOC designs
- Deep Knowledge about industry standards and practices in Physical Design, including Physically aware synthesis, Floor-planning, and Place & Route
- Deep knowledge or experience with digital signal processing filters design, analog-on-top mixed signal physical and timing interface implementation techniques, and passion to pursue out-of-the-box physical implementation techniques to achieve uncompromised design goals
- Meaningful experience in developing and implementing Power-grid and efficient Clock Distribution Networks
- Deep Understanding of all aspects of Physical construction, Integration, Design-For-Test (DFT), and Physical Verification
- Confirmed Knowledge of Basic SoC Architecture and HDL languages like Verilog to be able to communicate with logic design team for timing fixes. Power user of industry standard Synthesis, Physical Design, Timing & Power Analysis tools
- Deep Understanding of scripting languages such as Perl/Tcl
- Deep Understanding and working knowledge of STA methodology, constraints, and tools
- Working knowledge of Physical Design Verification methodology to debug LVS/DRC issues at block level
As a Semi-Custom Physical Design engineer, you will chip in to all phases of physical design of high performance Analog Mixed Signal designs from RTL to delivery of our final GDSII. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: Generate block level static timing constraints. Build block level floorplan including pin placement and power grid. Develop and validate high performance low power clock distribution network. Perform block level place and route and close the design to meet timing, area and power constraints. Generate and Implement ECOs to fix timing, noise and EM IR violations. Run Physical design verification flow at block level and to provide guidelines to fix LVS/DRC violations. Participate in establishing CAD and physical design methodologies for accurate by construction designs. Assist in flow development for Analog-On-Top integration.
Education & Experience
Requires 4+ years of industry experience and Masters, or PhD Degree in a technical subject area.
Back to top