RFC/RF HW Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jan 31, 2020
Role Number: 200145800
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what's considered feasible? As part of our HW Design group, you'll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you will be part of the team to innovate new HW design technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you'll push the industry boundaries of what wireless HW design can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Train engineers on design teams in using RFC management systems effectively . Collaborate with design teams and automation teams to align data format for executing measurement campaigns on both stand alone devices as well as cellular system Prepare and present technical information and status reports to executives and program management Support up to 15% travel to collaborate with international teams, support factory builds, and manage vendors
- Fundamentals of digital communications, wireless protocols, transceiver design, semiconductor electronics, and applied electromagnetic.
- Must be familiar with different cellular technologies and be able to explain key differences between GSM, WCDMA, LTE and 5G nr (sub 6GHz). mmWave and 5G mmWave experience is a plus.
- Must have a strong understanding of how a RF Front End solution is controlled for different modes of operation like Sleep, Idle, Active (TDD and FDD operation)
- RF test equipment such as vector network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, AWGs, load/source pull tuner systems, shield boxes, one box testers, and call boxes.
- RF performance criteria and concepts such as TRP, TIS, noise figure, sensitivity/de-sense, phase noise, EVM, ACLR, spectral mask, spurious, harmonics, intermodulation, s-parameters, Smith charts, and tuning networks.
- Hardware bring-up, bench evaluation, and troubleshooting involving general lab equipment
- Schematic, layout, and signal integrity design tool suites from Cadence
- Linear cascade analysis tools such as ADS, MWO, or MATLAB
- EM analysis tools such as HFSS, MWS, Sonnet, or Momentum is a plus
- Programming and scripting languages such as C, Java, Python, MySQL, or MATLAB
- Exposure to the following areas:
- RF system design, requirements flow-down, link budget analysis and cascade analysis.
- Front end architectures and component technologies employed for WiFi/BT and cellular systems.
- Design, simulation, and validation of lumped and distributed passive networks, including transmission lines, transitions, couplers, splitters, resonators, baluns, and radiating elements
- General EE fundamentals, embedded systems, micro-controllers, voltage regulation and conversion, oscillators, high speed communications (PCIe, DP, USB3, HSIC), low speed interfaces (I2C, SPI, UART, GPIB, SCPI, SPMI)
- Production assembly and test flows for consumer products
- Demonstrated skills in the following areas:
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Successful track record of delivering highly innovative communications products.
- Organized, flexible, and efficient operation in a dynamic lab work environment.
- Ability to write software programs to manipulate and organize data.
The term RFC (Radio Frontend Configuration) is used at Apple as both the noun that describes the set of data used to setup and control Apple advanced cellular frontends as well as the overall system used to manage the data across different parts revision and different hardware platforms and revisions. As a RFC/RFHW Hardware Engineer your main responsibility will be the creating and managing of RFC's for all cellular projects. This role will involve working with individual design teams and ensure that every hardware revision is controlled correctly and optimum for best radio performance with respect to switch programming and with respect to LNA and PA bias settings.
Education & Experience
- BSEE or equivalent required; MSEE or Ph.D is preferred.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Back to top