Recycling Technologies Intern
Posted: Jun 17, 2019
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200069900
Experience Apple. There's the typical job. Punch in, make widgets, punch out, repeat. Then there's a career at Apple. Where you're inspired to defy the routine. To explore the far reaches of the possible. To travel uncharted paths. And to be a part of something far bigger than yourself. Because around here, changing the world just comes with the job description. Ideally looking for our intern to work a full year, starting in September/October.
- Knowledge of material life cycles, from raw material extraction to end-of-life options, with a particular focus on materials used in consumer electronics and industrial manufacturing
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and technologies used in consumer electronics
- Knowledge of mineral and metal extraction, production, refining and recycling processes, including new, emerging technologies in hydrometallurgy, pyrometallurgy, and biometallurgy
- Experience developing and utilizing mineral and metallurgical process models of extraction, processing, and recycling to guide decision making in a data-driven manner; e.g. HSC Sim, Metsim
- Knowledge of material flow analysis (MFA) and life cycle assessment (LCA) methods and techniques
- Understanding of Circular Economy concepts and familiarity with common metrics used to discuss the Circular Economy
- Comfortable with developing assumptions, working and making decisions with limited and imperfect data, and quantifying and identifying sources of uncertainty
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented
- Excellent at written and verbal communication
- Experienced managing, organizing and maintaining large datasets
- Experienced with spreadsheets, process modeling software, and data manipulation
- Comfortable presenting to and working with both technical and non-technical teams
Apple's Environmental Technologies team is seeking an intern to assist with investigations into recycling technologies and material recovery, in support of Apple's dedication to building a closed-loop supply chain. We are committed to making our products from recycled and renewable materials and ensuring that those products are recycled responsibly at their end of life. As a team, we focus on material extraction and recovery technologies, separation and purification methods, material flow mapping, and other data-driven analyses around material life cycles. Are you passionate about responsible resource management and the technologies that can enable a more sustainable supply chain? Do you want to work on hard problems with real world impacts? Are you a committed optimist? If this describes you, you will help us identify, prioritize and solve complex technical challenges in material life cycles. You'll work to identify key technologies or processing opportunities in Apple's up- and downstream supply chain. And you'll help measure and track progress towards our Closed Loop goal. In this work, you will collaborate closely with multi-functional teams to scope projects, capture and analyze data, execute technology trials and evaluations, and present findings and recommendations as they relate to engineering decisions.
Education & Experience
Currently pursing a MS/PhD in material science, material engineering, extractive metallurgy, and/or related fields. Advanced BS students should also apply.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Back to top