Photonics Engineer - Camera Hardware
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: May 22, 2020
Role Number: 200139874
The camera hardware team is responsible for design, development, and validation of camera and electro-optic sensing systems in Apple products. The senior engineer in this role will be responsible for architecture and execution of photonic IC development for electro-optical sensors. This role involves highly technical and cross-disciplinary knowledge in semi-conductor optical components, physical optics, lasers, detectors and semi-conductor packaging technologies.
- Experience with silicon and/or silicon nitrate integrated optics
- Experience with active components, including modulators and photo-detectors
- Excellent grasp of optical physics fundamentals
- Experience in optical PDK development including the design of optical building blocks such as splitters, waveguides, couplers and detectors
- Experience writing optical specifications for laser sources, imaging optics, polarization, and optical filters
- Experience with optical link budgets, including statistical analysis
- Free-space optical design and/or simulation experience considered a plus
- Hands-on experience implementing and testing optical devices and systems
- Experience with active ranging systems is a plus
Expert that defines development of photonic ICs based on high-level requirements of sensing systems architecture. Map development activities into strategy for internal and partnership developments. Collaborate with cross-functional and system leads for architecture definition. Lead direct and matrix team members to develop clear written specifications and develop test tools for verification of specifications. Lead responsibility for design, test, and validation activities in on-site lab facilities and in collaboration with vendors. Identify causal relationships between observed device or sub-system performance and design parameters. Interpret and reconcile empirical data with first-principles analytical and/or numerical simulations. Work with internal and external manufacturing teams to define fabrication process and test requirements. Present results and advocate for photonic IC development to director and executive leadership.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in physics, electrical engineering, or related field5+ years relevant experience.
Back to top