Performance Engineer, Apple Pay
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jan 27, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200000390
Here at Apple, we build products that revolutionize entire industries. It's the diversity of our people and their ideas that encourage the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple and help us leave the world better than we found it. We are always on the lookout to squeeze that last bit of performance, creatively scale and increase the reliability of our payment services that power Apple Online Store, AppStore, Apple Music, and more. Apple Pay brought mobile payments to millions of customers, and it's just the beginning. Are you passionate about building massively scalable services that surprise and delight? Do you have a natural curiosity for learning new technologies? If you answered yes to both questions, the Apple Pay Performance Engineering team wants to hear from you.
- 10+ years experience in architecting, testing, analyzing, tuning, and scaling large scale apps.
- 5+ years experience with relational databases and NoSQL store internals.
- Comprehensive understanding of multi-tier architectures with a track record of troubleshooting at all layers including application, middleware, operating systems, network and storage.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and their key aspects around latency, scalability, replication, consistency, reliability, etc.
- Knowledge of InMemory Key-Value Stores, Stream processing (Spark or similar), Search (Elastic or similar) and Messaging (Kafka or similar).
- Expertise at implementing load generation, test automation and performance monitoring frameworks.
- Strong teammate with high level of commitment and excellent communication skills.
- Highly passionate to play with open-source software and make them scale in highly-secure environments.
- Good understanding of security fundamentals; authentication, authorization, cryptography, etc.
We are seeking a self-driven candidate with an in-depth understanding of the critical technologies and architectures involving web applications, networking, data storage, querying, searching, processing, and messaging. Job responsibilities are as follows: Provide technical leadership and strategic direction to the engineering team by influencing design decisions and provide feedback during code-reviews. Actively participate in cross-functional meetings to communicate status, highlight risks and offer mitigation strategies. Analyze performance results and metrics to identify bottlenecks and opportunities for optimizations. Conduct feasibility studies for new technologies/architectures and benchmark by prototyping. Work with Infrastructure and SRE team to root cause live production problems. Evangelize performance engineering best practices across Apple services. Mentor junior performance engineers in the team.
Education & Experience
BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
Back to top