Performance Control Architect - Platform Architecture
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jun 7, 2021
Role Number: 200199563
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product! Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our multifaceted group, you will have the unique and phenomenal opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple's customers every single day. Platform Architecture is looking for a Performance Control Architect to measure, analyze and control the relationship between power and performance in Apple's most advanced systems on a chip. In this position, you will study the execution of iOS workloads on Apple silicon and leverage that understanding to influence the design of both hardware and software. You will design and conduct power/performance/thermal experiments, create instrumentation and data visualizations, contribute to Apple's culture of debate, specify new SoC features, prototype innovative performance control algorithms, and develop the software that controls the performance of every application workload on hundreds of millions of iOS devices around the world.
- Research experience investigating execution efficiency in computing systems, particularly on real silicon.
- Comprehensive statistics and quantitative analysis skills.
- Understanding of the techniques used to manage power delivery and thermal limits in modern systems
- Hands-on experience with hardware instrumentation, including power measurement and performance counters
- Knowledge of computer architecture, including the relationships between CPUs, GPUs, other compute clusters and memory hierarchy
- Userland software (e.g., application, simulation, test harness, data analysis) development experience in environments such as C, C++, Objective-C, Swift, Python, Perl or MATLAB is essential
- Kernel software development experience in C or C++ is desirable
As a Performance Control Architect, your job responsibilities will include: - Design and conduct experiments to characterize execution efficiency and the effects of physical constraints such as temperature or current limits - Use excellent empirical methodology to illuminate power-performance tradeoffs - Collaborate with and influence a broad cross-functional audience spanning processor architecture, silicon engineering, system integration, OS development and application software performance evaluation - Identify opportunities to improve the measurement and control capabilities of Apple SoCs - Invent new performance control concepts and carry them through prototyping, production implementation and tuning
Education & Experience
M.S., preferably Ph.D., in Electrical and Computer Engineering or Computer Science
Back to top