Optical Sensing HW - Technology Development Architect (Laser Sensing)
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Oct 19, 2020
Role Number: 200200530
The Laser Sensing Hardware group at Apple develops sensing systems for Apple products, including components of the revolutionary FaceID system. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers are responsible for architecture, design, and manufacturing development for new sensing solutions. The Laser Sensing Hardware team is seeking an Architecture Lead for designing new optical modules and sensor applications.
- This role requires ability to learn and explore new areas quickly, deal well with ambiguity, and take responsibility for project success. The ability to work, lead, and communicate in a cross-functional environment is required, as is the interest and ability to move rapidly between different subject areas.
- The ideal applicant will have the following qualifications, although exceptional strength in one area can make up for lack of experience in others.
- Deep understanding of noise sources in measurement systems and expertise in quickly vetting a sensor concept through construction/analysis of a link budget.
- Experience using C/C++, C#, Matlab, or Python for modeling, data collection, data analysis.
- Experience with optical simulation tools (LightTools, Matlab, etc.) and/or experience with analog and mixed signal processing and board bringup.
- Able to formulate/setup and conduct experiments to validate simulations and demonstrate proof-of-concept for a sensor proposal.
- Passion and awareness of new technologies in or at the cusp of the consumer electronics industry.
- Preferred but not required: Knowledge of laser safety and Class-1 compliance (per IEC60825).
In this role, you will lead key areas of introducing a new device: - Specify, survey, and select optical sensing technology for use in sensing systems. - Rapidly select among many parallel options by constructing/analyzing link budgets, assessing tradeoffs between performance and manufacturability, and carrying out lab-based demonstration/validation. - Work with module design teams to move concepts out of the scoping phase. In all of this work, you need to be an effective communicator - both to collaborate with cross-functional teams and present to executive management on key developments / issues.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Physics, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering. - 2+ years of industry experience in a development and manufacturing environment preferred.
Back to top