Motion Sensing Systems Engineer - Magnetics
Posted: Feb 14, 2020
Role Number: 200120922
The Motion Sensing team develops ground breaking sensors that are central to enabling MEMS and magnetics sensing technologies across Apple products. This team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and state of the art technologies. Engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. Invention and patent creation are expected and supported. Opening up the boundaries to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple. In this role, you will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating motion sensing systems. You should be familiar with MEMS sensor technologies such as motion sensor performance metrics, magnetic sensor device physics and applications, system integration, and manufacturing technologies of such sensors.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in sensing system hardware engineering.
- Experience in architecture, design, characterization, and validation of magnetic sensing systems that includes theory of operation, signal processing, fabrication, packaging and design trade-offs.
- Experience in electrical engineering, especially in board level analog and mixed-signal systems design.
- Proficient in simulation, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (ANSYS Maxwell, Comsol, Matlab, Python, JMP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- The willingness and ability to travel are required.
You will be developing and validating motion sensors. You will be expected to identify, create, and document new sensing metrics. Work cross-functionally to identify critical performance parameters. Core responsibilities include: Evaluate and drive sensor design, technology investigation, manufacturing process development, and system integration. Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method driving to definitive root cause. Identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance and matter to customer perception. Work cross-functionally to identify and specify critical performance parameters and error sensitivities. Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage of sensors on tight development schedules. Support engineering build activities with performance validation measurements, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination. Performance matching across multiple sources for sensors. Work with suppliers to proactively identify and resolve issues of matching to our specs. Analyze trade-offs among performance, manufacturability, size, schedule and cost. Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution. Author high quality and thorough engineering requirements specifications for sensors. Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for ongoing sensing system programs.
Education & Experience
PhD degree in engineering, or Bachelor/MS degree in engineering plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant industry experience.
Back to top