Mechanical Engineer, Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Aug 30, 2019
Role Number: 200097074
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is passionate about people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. The camera hardware engineering team is responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. We are seeking an extraordinary Mechanical Engineer (FEA) to evaluate and work on camera hardware modules and component parts.
- 5+ years experience in static and dynamic structural FEA analysis using Ansys or Abaqus
- Expertise in Voice Coil Motor (VCM) and PZT FEA
- Experience in building and calibrating non-linear material models
- Expertise in metallic material behaviors
- Self motivated to identify and close design issues
- Outstanding verbal and visual communication skills
- Experience with COMSOL would be a desirable attribute
- Knowledge of fatigue analysis
- Familiar with CAD software: SolidWorks and NX is very desirable
- Knowledge of Python, Abaqus user subroutine development and iSight is a plus
Perform Finite Element modeling and simulations using ABAQUS with project specific use of COMSOL as required. Work with design engineers on camera design evaluation, verification/validation as well as design optimization. Interpret FEA results and provide physical explanations and possible solutions. Recommend design changes/directions to meet product performance requirements. Participate in team brainstorming and new technology development. Develop new simulation tools and capabilities as needed. Consideration will be given to qualified candidates from medical, consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace or other fields with related technology and development models.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Material Science or similar concentration
- Occasional travel to manufacturing partners is required
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.
Back to top