Mechanical Engineer - Cell R&D
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Mar 10, 2020
Role Number: 200149033
As part of Battery Engineering group, the role involves designing next generation battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. The role also involves design and building prototypes, developing equipment and processes related to the assembly of new designs. This includes equipment specification and commission, as well as establishment and optimization of process parameters. Work closely with internal cross-functional teams, external vendors and technology partners on application development from concept prototype phase to production introduction.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter, with extensive experience in mechanical design with 5+ years of direct experience in battery cell design, interconnect design, cell assembly and related fixture designs.
- Working knowledge of applying quality tools including statistical analysis of performance results, determination of process capabilities, execution of design of experiments and development of SOPs and related work instructions.
- Working effectively with external vendors and contractors to specify, develop process equipment, establish and optimize process procedures and improve material utilization.
- Hands on product development from initial prototype to MP level, as well as, technical transfer to manufacture partner.
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation is highly desirable
- 3D CAD experience is required. Proficiency in UG/NX is preferred.
- Experience in thermal and structural FEA
- Statistical understandings of DOEs, process capability, correlation, and GR&R
- Experience in creation of necessary written procedures for manufacturing, maintenance, safety, and training
- Strong aptitude towards mechanical design, process development with emphasis on battery interconnect and assembly processes.
- Well versed in statistics and applicable statistical software tools
- Ability to clearly justify technical decisions based on data and results
- Effective time management skills and strong process oriented approach to areas of focus
- Ability to work with other cross-functional teams and disciplines to arrive at a suitable engineering solution in fast pace environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues
- Ability to supervise and coach process technicians
•Working closely with cross functional teams, brainstorm and design new battery designs. •drive all technical and operational issues related to realization of new battery designs including assembly, interconnect processes and equipment. •Design, procure and test all related process kits and fixtures to support the process development. •Develop equipment specifications for final tool selection, participate in vendor selection, provide technical guidance during tool development and factory acceptance prior to shipment. •Oversee equipment performance including: installation, commissioning, set-up and process development. •Perform process engineering studies / process verification, identify CTQ's, understand & reduce variation and DOEs. Evaluate process data to determine failure modes, implement corrective actions and identify opportunities to improve. •Maintain regular interaction with engineering, supply chain, safety, finance, and production groups. Prepare project updates and goals, travel to suppliers, manufacturing sites, conferences as needed and qualification efforts for prototype designs from concept to production readiness. •Research literature and industry for advancements in technology related to equipment design, process control and material utilization.
Education & Experience
- Some travel to vendors, suppliers and pilot / production line facilities expected
Back to top