Maps POI Senior Data Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: May 11, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200169164
The Apple Maps Places of Interest (POI) team is looking for a great hands-on Senior Engineering Manager. You will be joining the team builds the platform to process, curate, and manage the POI data that is used in Maps. POI is a key pillar of the overall Maps experience so you will directly impact the success and future of the Maps product and beyond.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- A track record of making a difference in past projects
- Naturally accountable, responsible, self motivated and self sufficient
- Experience designing distributed systems/services for scale
- Experience working with: Cassandra, SOLR, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka and similar technologies in production contexts at scale
- Preference for experience with Scala, Python
- Experience with designing, implementing, and operating large scale data processing pipelines
The POI platform is used by a wide variety of different teams within Apple beyond just the Maps team. Good accuracy, coverage, and richness of the POI data is what ensures a good user experience for Maps. This is a challenging problem as POI data is constantly evolving. In addition to the volatility of the data, the mapping space is growing with new and exciting features being planned continuously. The Maps team is looking for software engineers that can thrive in this type of fast-paced environment where both individual drive and team collaboration are keys to success. You will be expected to thoroughly understand the systems and their interdependencies, in order to effectively evaluate asks and push back and/or suggest alternatives. In addition to solid technical skills, candidates must also have: - Strong interpersonal and communication skills - Be self-starters with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership - Comfortable with unknowns and have a "learner's" mindset Finally, you will be helping to care for a system that serves the passions and needs of millions of customers, so we're looking for somebody who can be equally hardworking!
Education & Experience
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field - 10+ years in Software Engineering Roles with a focus on back-end systems
- Apple's most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We're proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount - both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company's success. You'll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace
Back to top