Maps Platform Software Engineer - Core
Posted: Sep 4, 2019
Role Number: 200056793
Come to Apple to do the greatest work of your life. Surround yourself with passionate and talented people who believe that attention to detail results in a better user experience and a better product. Become part of the company synonymous with innovation and customer delight. Tasked with building the world's best map you will use large data sets, distributed processing systems, domain expertise, and top-notch development skills to build the Apple's OpenStreetMap ingest platform. We are looking for passionate, creative software engineers motivated by challenging problems of scale that impact every Maps user. You will address technical challenges around distributed graph processing, conflation, and data access.
- Strong object-oriented programming skills in languages like Java or C#
- Deep understanding of distributed computing technologies and highly scalable environments
- Production experience with large data sets
- A believer in process driven development with customer focus
- Loves the art of building software and believes that a good ideas become truly innovative when challenged by different points of view
- Excels and enjoys working in a collaborative team environment
- 8 to 15 years of development experience and a history of leading through example
Our team combines disparate signals such as data analytics, community engagement, and user feedback to improve the Maps Platform. Combining these signals requires a comprehensive tool chain built around data processing, visualization, debugging, and editing. On any given day, you may work side-by-side with analysts and developers to identify and debug corner cases in map data processing, extend the existing platform to support new map data use cases, or help redesign key components to improve data abstraction and clarify software boundaries. You will need to have exceptional engineering and communication skills, as well as a belief that data-driven feedback leads to great products.
Education & Experience
B.S., M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- - Familiarity with big data technologies such as Cassandra, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, etc.
- - Familiarity with OpenStreetMap (OSM) or commercial map data and tool chains
- - Experience with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL or SQL Server
- - Experience scripting with Python, Bash, etc.
Back to top