Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) Brittles
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jun 8, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200154247
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Apple iPhone Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) is accountable for driving the development of key mechanical manufacturing processes across Apple's worldwide supply base. In this highly visible, hands-on role as the expert technical member of the Manufacturing Design Team you will have direct frequent communication and collaboration with Apple Industrial Design, Product Design, Manufacturing Design partners and worldwide suppliers.
- 3+ years of full time mechanical manufacturing experience required
- Demonstrate hands-on mechanical ability
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Experience with highly cosmetic parts a plus as is experience in a manufacturing environment of consumer electronics or consumer plastic / sheet metal products
- Be a self-starter by defining all engineering tasks to meet project objectives and have the ability to quickly learn about new processes with very little information provided
- 35% domestic and international travel required
Apple MDE's are extraordinary engineers that provide end to end manufacturing and process solutions for key design features. This includes manufacturing process development and capability (includes incorporating all aspects of equipment, consumables, key parameters, process setup, and qualification), selection and/or design of manufacturing equipment, automation, and strategic R&D. - Define best-in-class processes to meet all Apple design and operational requirements - Develop and document processes including all parameters, consumables and secondary operation requirements to meet defined specifications - Work with Global Supply Managers to define and establish supply chain requirements utilizing selected equipment and manufacturing suppliers - Provide leadership at manufacturing sites during development and product production ramp, and drive engineering issues to resolution - Use data to drive process decisions, basic data analysis, DOEs, SPC, etc. - Identify, research, develop, and qualify premier equipment manufacturers and suppliers - Define part tolerance and specifications by demonstrating process capability to Product Designers and Industrial Designers Lead process development/have expertise in one of the process development areas listed below: - CNC machining - Develop all CNC milling and turning processes. Scope appropriate CNC equipment to be used, develop CNC fixtures, implement touch probing, lead the reduction of cycle time, development of advanced cutters and coatings, High Speed Machining implementation, support the programming and optimization of all CNC-related activities at contract manufacturers worldwide. Own yield improvement actions and process change decisions based on statistical process control (SPC) data analysis. - Surface Finishing - Develop new processes in the area of blasting, tumbling, polishing, wet sanding, lapping, anodizing, and PVD. Ensure that quality and yield requirements are met. - Glass Processing - Develop all processes for glass scribe/break, grinding, lapping, polishing, chemical strengthening, decoration and functional coatings (with inks, and other thin film deposition techniques etc). Ensure that quality and yield requirements are met. - Assembly - Develop all assembly processes. Includes incorporating welding, gluing/adhesives, and mechanical fit based processes. Support qualification of equipment at suppliers, including detailed documentation of process parameters. Own yield improvement actions and process change decisions based on statistical process control (SPC) data analysis. Identify automation opportunities and justify automation projects based on automation line efficiency metrics. - Painting - Develop all paint processes to achieve cosmetic and surface durability requirements. Scope and specify paint equipment, environmental clean room requirements, evaluate and select most appropriate paints and painting parameters to ensure quality and yield requirements are met.
Education & Experience
BS, MS or PhD in mechanical, manufacturing or industrial engineering preferred.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.
Back to top