IMG Haptics Authoring Tools Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jul 2, 2019
Role Number: 200076770
Opportunity is tapping you on the shoulder. We're looking for software engineers passionate about audio, haptics, and multimedia to improve the ease of haptics content creation for Apple's haptics technologies, such as the recently announced Core Haptics API. This demanding, yet rewarding role will involve full cycle development of haptics + system UI sound SW features, tools, and infrastructure. You're used to dealing with a firehose of information, decisions, deadlines and priorities. You'll be working at many levels of the software stack, such as audio/haptics processing algorithms, multimedia SW stack, test environments, authoring/editing tools, or app design/user interface. If you're looking for impact, innovation, and growth, let's get in touch.
- Develop production quality, concurrent C++ or Swift code for use in frameworks and apps. You'll need to be well-versed in digital audio fundamentals (sampling, filtering, compression, media file formats, etc.).
- Have experience in creating and maintaining tools and workflow for new Human-Computer Interaction paradigms and experiences.
- Start effective collaborations with colleagues from different cross-functional backgrounds, such as haptics hardware engineers, app developers, and haptics designers.
- Nice to have: Experience writing or integrating with sound or video editors, multimedia authoring tools, audio engines, game engines (Unity, Unreal, SceneKit), or general signal processing code.
- You can utilize modern language and library features to improve efficiency, reduce bugs, and refactor existing implementation. Swift and Objective-C are helpful, but not required. You're able to utilize scripting and command line tools, like Python or Matlab, throughout your work.
- Write clear design documentation. For senior candidates - translate objectives and requests from different cross-functional teams into software architecture, algorithms, work estimates and construction plans.
- (Senior candidates) Helpful: Are able to think beyond the software environment to test and debug system- level issues that may have physiological, electromechanical, firmware, or other root causes.
You'll be situated within the Interactive Media Group (IMG), which provides the audio, media and graphics foundation across all of Apple's professional and consumer products. The Interactive Haptics team inside IMG provides developer APIs and tools supporting sound and haptic interactions across all our products, and has helped usher in widespread industry use of haptics, with the Taptic Engine in the iPhone and Apple Watch.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D in a technical field, such as CS, EE, Music Technology - or equivalent work experience
Back to top