Firmware Engineer - AirPods
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Sep 17, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200145172
Are you a talented and resourceful firmware engineer with the desire to research and craft solutions that do not yet exist? Will you join us to design, develop and ship products that set the standard for our industry? The Apple Audio Products team wants you to help us create the next generation of audio products that will empower millions of customers to fully utilize and enjoy the ecosystem of Apple products. Join us in designing products such as the groundbreaking new AirPods. The Audio Products Engineering Team is seeking an enthusiastic firmware engineer. This is an individual contributor design engineering position. The job entails working with a wide variety of functional groups to continually innovate technology implemented in Apple products. - We want you to join us if you are driven to contribute your talents to exceptional projects with wide-ranging responsibilities from initial concept stages through delivery. - You will be deeply involved in low-level micro-controller firmware design and implementation, as well as overall system integration. - You will join a hands-on development team that champions creativity and generates novel solutions to deliver engineering excellence. - We partner with a variety of cross and multi-functional team members from a diverse array of groups across the company to successfully deliver our accessories to market.
- 4+ years of proven excellence in firmware, device driver, or equivalent experience preferred; however, we encourage you to apply with any level of experience.
- Expertise designing embedded firmware
- Passion for product ownership and track record of product development
- Experience with MCUs, peripherals, features, and development environments is also valuable.
- Prior experience with overseeing board bring-up and validation
- Expertise and proficiency in C (some Assembly helpful)
- Proven ability to design and integrate code into a shipping product against aggressive timelines
- Strong electrical system and software debugging skills are essential. ICE/JTAG experience is preferred.
- Ability to read serial bus traces, board schematics, use an oscilloscope and logic analyzer.
- Experience with RTOS embedded development and multithreaded programming.
- Knowledge of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Technologies is desired.
- Familiarity with real-time audio (sample rates, buffering, I2S, PCM, drivers) is great to have
As an Audio Products Firmware Engineer, you will play a significant part in the development of products with all of these characteristics by engaging in very collaborative, rapidly changing environment to integrate new technologies into our designs. Our products are state of the art in every way: - Design - Integration - Connectivity - Power consumption - Reliability - Fabrication - Manufacturing scale You will fully engage to contribute at every stage of the Apple product development cycle, from concept to production, driving both individual product features and overall system validation activities. You will partner closely with various team members on activities ranging from schematic-level design and firmware development to system debug, root cause analysis, and corrective action. You will prioritize tasks with rapid development cycles, remain flexible and calm in the face of uncertainty, and drive vendors to deliver excellent results for time-critical issues. - Collaborate with marketing and cross-functional engineering teams to define product features and requirements. - Play a lead role in defining system architecture to implement new product and product features. - Design, implement, debug, and test embedded C code running on 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit MCU's for Apple-branded audio products. - Support electrical bring-up and debug of prototype hardware. - Work with internal teams and external contract manufacturers to bring products to mass production. - Collaborate with software teams to manage the definition of communication protocols. - Enable expansion of our product ecosystem features through creation of test tools. Be ready to make something great when you come here. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative, industry-defining technologies are the norm at Apple. The people who work here have reinvented and defined entire industries with our products and services. The same passion for innovation also applies to our business practices - strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. You should join the Apple Accessories Firmware team if you want to help deliver the next amazing Apple product.
Education & Experience
Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
Back to top