Electric Motor Controls Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jul 16, 2021
Role Number: 200187608
We are a diverse collective of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining what is possible to help us all do what we love in new ways. And the same innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices - strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. This is where your work can make a difference in people's lives. Including your own! The Special Projects Team (SPG) is seeking Electric Motor Controls Engineers to work on developing electric motor controls systems for various applications. The candidate will be responsible for developing different levels of requirements, designing various control algorithms, testing designed algorithms at various test platforms to verify and validate the functionalities and performances.
- Strong knowledge and skills in areas required for electric motor controls systems development - motors, motor controls theory, power electronics, etc
- 5+ years of industry experience in developing electric motor controls systems and products
- Hands-on experience in using simulation tools - MATLAB/Simulink, PLECS, PSIM, etc.
- Ability to understand the software architecture and codes implemented in C
- Knowledge and experience in failure (fault) analysis methodologies - FMEA, FTA, etc
- Knowledge and experience in embedded system designs including micro-processor, micro-controller, DSP and basic electric circuits is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in classic and advanced control theories and applications is a plus.
- Experience in using hardware-in-the-loop simulation (HILS) systems is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in test automation using off-the-shelf tools and software packages is a plus.
In this role, we are seeking a candidate who would be responsible for the following but not limited to: • Participate in system engineering activities from the controls perspective. • Develop electric motor controls algorithms for various applications by designing algorithms and verifying functionalities and performances in laboratory set-ups and in field environments. • Work with the software engineering team to implement the electric motor control algorithms in the embedded systems • Work with the hardware engineering team to improve and to optimize the design, and to verify the hardware functionalities • Document the algorithm description, test procedure and results • Generate simulation models and/or improve the existing simulation models to be used in the integrated simulation environments • Generate the test cases and test procedures appropriate to the individual system • Calibrate the controls and diagnostics algorithms to improve the performance and to meet the requirements • Work with hardware, software, control algorithm engineers to identify root cause(s) and to troubleshoot the field issues • Work with the test facility team to set up the test benches • Document the work products - algorithm design, test procedures, cases and results, calibration procedure and results.
Education & Experience
Minimum MS in EE/ME focusing on electric motor controls and/or power electronics, PhD in EE/ME focusing on electric motor controls preferred Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Back to top