Depth Module Design Lead
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Jul 13, 2019
Role Number: 200016937
We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in fostering excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? The Depth Hardware group at Apple develops depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers is responsible for architecture, research, and manufacturing development of these highly complex sensing systems for Apple products. The Depth Hardware team is seeking a product Integration engineer to lead integration of Depth HW into products in partnership with product and technology teams.
- This role requires the ability to learn quickly and become familiar with several different technology areas. Ability to lead teams and take responsibility for project success is a requirement. The ideal candidate will be an expert in at least 1-2 of the skill listed below, and have some familiarity with all of the skills listed:
- 5+ years relevant experience in designing and testing of compact imaging optical systems.
- Image quality evaluation including test charts, algorithms, and lighting.
- Electronic circuit design and test some power-supply analog.
- Mechanical design and tolerance analysis of highly constrained, high-production volume designs as well as image sensor design and characterization.
- Manufacturing processes and process knowledge of high-production volume modules.
- Data analysis and statistics using MATLAB, JMP, Minitab or other mathematical software.
The primary responsibility for this role is design and delivery of depth sensing modules, from concept through production ramp. Heavy interaction with multidisciplinary design teams (electrical, mechanical, process, test, firmware, software and operations) requires the ability to understand a wide breadth of engineering and technical principles. Responsibilities include: Cross-functional leadership of optical, electrical and mechanical design teams to develop and integrate depth hardware into products. Concept definition, design, and detailed trade studies for laser projectors, camera optics, sensors, and module packaging. Documentation of module-specific design, test, and manufacturing requirements. Leadership of international manufacturing partners for module design evaluation, prototype builds, and qualification. Leadership of depth module test definition and validation in Apple labs and at manufacturing sites. Detailed failure analysis of any issues affecting functionality and performance at module and product level. Frequent reporting to executive and cross-functional teams on development status of module development.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or higher degree in a relevant field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Physics or equivalent).
Back to top