CoreMedia Playback Engineer
Posted: Oct 3, 2019
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200107481
The Interactive Media Group (IMG) provides the media and graphics foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod, Apple TV, iPod, Macs as well as professional and consumer applications from Final Cut to iTunes and iWork. IMG takes the media experience to the next level on the iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS and Windows platforms with technologies such as AVFoundation, CoreMedia, CoreAudio and CoreAnimation. Our team is responsible for implementing software services around linear audiovisual media. This includes local media playback, video-on-demand and live streaming of multimedia content. Our media engine is used across Apple products such as Safari, iTunes, Photos, Music, Videos on iOS and macOS as well as 3rd party applications. The CoreMedia engineering team within IMG is looking for a software engineer to join our team to work on media playback. We are looking for an expert developer that has designed and improved media playback workflows and has debugged complex and layered software stacks. You are curious, ambitious, and thorough when they approach new challenges.
- You will have 5+ years experience working in a large software development organization
- You have strong coding, reading and debugging skills in C
- You have experience with and understanding of real-time multithreaded programming systems
- You have a thorough knowledge of media playback workflows, protocols and performance needs
- You are familiar with typical audio/video codecs: AAC, AC-3, H.264, HEVC...
- You have familiarity with typical multimedia file formats: QuickTime Movie, MPEG-4, MPEG-TS...
- You have excellent debugging skills
- You have iOS, macOS, BSD and/or UNIX development experience
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You have the ability to work with cross-functional engineering teams
- You have excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- You have an ability to stay focused and prioritize a heavy workload while achieving extraordinary quality
- You are upbeat, adaptable, and results oriented with a positive attitude
You will be a reciprocal professional with excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable in a dynamic environment. You will have experience in systems-level programming and a proven understanding of video, audio and audiovisual synchronization. You have worked as part of a team implementing video processing or capture functionality.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- You have experience with Xcode, Instruments and the macOS development toolchain
- You have experience with iOS and macOS framework performance optimization
- You have experience with Performance Toolkit, Performance Counter tools, VTune, XPerf/GPUView, valgrind or similar tools
Back to top