Cell Characterization Engineer - Special Projects Group (SPG)
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Aug 15, 2020
Role Number: 200186666
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple do not just craft products - they build the kind of wonder that has revolutionized entire industries. It is the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple is looking for a Cell Engineer of LIB with excellent knowledge in LIB materials, creativity and leadership skill to enable and drive the development of new LIB with advanced materials and novel cell designs. Your deep understanding of battery performance metrics, materials, cell designs, application specific cell requirements as well as cell characterization & validation will enable you to drive the development and realization of innovative and novel LIB. You will help systems engineering teams to fully understand battery cell performance by fully characterizing the A- up to C-Sample Battery cells (power at temp, energy at temp, life, thermal characteristics, swelling, OCV and OCV hysteresis and more). This includes definitions of tests required for modeling, controls development and performance simulation. In addition to your profound technical skill you will communicate effectively and maintain highly interactive relationships with internal and external partners. You will manage suppliers to realize our technologies to production intent prototypes and lead these strategic partnerships aligning them to Apple's development programs and roadmaps. Those aspects are complemented by demonstrating initiative, a keen eye for industry trends and business opportunities and the ability to influence senior management. Within Apple, SPG (Special Projects Group) is working on entirely new products and designs that are exciting and far out of the ordinary. Programs at Apple SPG are driven with product intent, some of them are in their early development stage, some relatively mature. Accordingly time to market varies for different projects. Working at Apple SPG you will encounter technical challenges to navigate through (and around sometimes) on an almost daily basis. If you enjoy working in a challenging, creative, flexible and fast paced environment with significant leverage on future products and trends, you will love this job.
- Five plus years experience in material development related to Li-ion chemistry, scaling new materials and qualifying new materials into production. Familiarity with high volume production processes and methods related to rechargeable Li-ion cells preferred.
- Knowledgable about common Li-Ion battery tests, required instrumentation and test systems (e.g. Maccor, Kratzer). Solid understanding of how these tests inform cell design, modeling and controls development.
- Experience in managing multiple development programs with internal engineering groups and external technology development partners and vendors.
- Motivated, self-starter with excellent time management skills and strong priority oriented approach to areas of focus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues.
- Familiar with relevant industry standards battery and validation.
Develop schedules, set priorities and ensure availability of technical resources to effectively execute cell development related activities. Work with internal cross-functional teams to propose / initiate / execute cell development programs with respect to personnel, facilities, budgets, technical and business support. Work with external vendors to establish relationships, define scope of development activity, manage execution and review performance / progress against program goals / schedule through data driven decision making processes. Prepare updates related to technology benchmarking, development program proposals / status, report and make recommendations as required. Coordinate technology transfer of next generation materials and designs into cell development and design qualification processes. Provide technical expertise during the qualification process and ensure that all supporting documentation is updated to reflect material / design changes and practices.
Education & Experience
M.o.S. or Ph.D. in Material Science, Mechanical Eng., Electrical Eng., Chemistry or similar.
- Travel to external vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities expected. This is a role in Product Design - though travel is expected it is at reasonable intensity.
Back to top