Battery Test Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Aug 15, 2020
Role Number: 200186665
This position is responsible for the planning, execution and reporting of product development and qualification testing associated with new lithium ion battery design and material validation projects. This position is expected to provide technical support and coordination for battery failure analysis and product / process improvement initiatives. The tasks of this position will be conducted both independently and in collaboration with design engineers and other test engineers. The successful candidate is a dedicated team player who is tolerant of risk and uncertainty, thrives in a highly-technical, collaborative environment and has significant experience working within multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong computer skills including working with large and complex datasets. Working experience with lab software including automation and data processing tools (LabVIEW, MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Position requires working in both laboratory and office environment, collaborating with teams in remote locations and from different cultures.
- Strong Integrity, interpersonal skills, and with a collaborative style which earns the respect of peers, subordinates and clients
- Proactive, persuasive, communicative team player with the ability to articulate effectively at the executive level as well as with multiple disciplines across the company
- Global communication and experience preferred
- Familiarity with governing regulatory standards is preferred
• Utilize existing equipment to test and validate battery cells, systems and related components under electrical, mechanical and thermal stresses. As needed, design and develop customized equipment, fixtures and/or protocols to enable highly accurate execution of these testing activities • Participate in the definition, selection, procurement, commissioning and validation of new test equipment, both commercially-available and highly customized • Determine feasibility and coordinate the activities of third party test labs from the RFQ through final report stages • Develop DOEs to maximize learning opportunities and schedule testing in order to effectively utilize available internal and external resources • Direct the activities of Test Technicians • Compile and analyze test findings and present comprehensive technical reports • Drive continuous improvement in standardized test protocols as well as in data acquisition, analysis and archiving systems • Troubleshoot failed test protocols and product samples • Perform battery cell and system teardowns as a key component of failure analysis and root cause investigation. Coordinate the participation of various internal and external groups in this activity • Develop and adhere to lab safety protocols. Ensure compliance within lab to all regulations and good housekeeping practices. Conduct regular safety checks and audits of testing equipment • Review and maintain calibration records of all lab equipment and schedule annual re-certifications in order to ensure equipment functionality
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in a related engineering discipline and a minimum of 5 years of practical laboratory experience, ideally including the testing of lithium ion batteries. Master's degree is a plus.
- Some business travel required, projected to be approximately 10% total
Back to top