Accessibility Software Engineer - Media
- Cupertino, CA
Posted: Oct 6, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200197085
Do you have a passion for movies, TV and music? Are you interested in creating software that promotes equality and inclusion for everyone? Here at Apple we believe that technology is most powerful when it empowers everyone. Our team, the Vision Accessibility team is looking for a Software Engineer who can contribute to an accessible multimedia experience on iOS and tvOS, as well as additional platforms that support media services like Music and Apple TV+.
- Motivated to learn new programming languages and development environments.
- Well grounded in essential algorithms and data structures.
- Passionate about writing high quality software with an emphasis on correctness, readability and testability.
- Familiar with testing technologies such as unit tests, integration tests and UI tests.
- Persistent in using debuggers and other problem solving techniques to track down and fix bugs.
- Upbeat, adaptable, and results-oriented attitude
- Excellent cross-functional and communication skills
Apple's Accessibility team is looking for a motivated Software Engineer to help craft a first-class accessible experience for enjoying movies, music and TV shows across all of our platforms, as well as supporting media services Music and TV+ on partner platforms. In this role you will gain exposure to a wide range of technologies, programming languages and development environments. You will have the rare and rewarding opportunity to create a rich ecosystem of assistive technologies: from a screenreader to assist those with low-vision, to dwell support for those with reduced mobility, to Closed Captions and SDH for the hard-of-hearing community, and everything in-between! The successful candidate will be challenged to create and maintain a consistent experience across a diverse platform landscape. This will require you to apply your understanding of computer science fundamentals in a variety of environments, each with its own design architecture, development tools and debugging techniques. You will need to solve problems and fix bugs that may require learning new technologies and collaborate with colleagues who specialize in these domains. Finally, you must be motivated to create unique solutions to support a wide audience. This will involve collaborating with designers and accessibility experts. Critical thinking and the ability to innovate are requirements for this position, however no prior experience with accessibility software is required. You'll join a focused team, but also work closely with the larger Accessibility organization at Apple. You will frequently interact with many groups at Apple to deliver ground breaking features. Here you'll find that we: - Have a wide range of experience, from new engineers to Apple veterans. - Provide a fast-paced and rewarding work environment. - Have an encouraging and growth-focused workplace culture. - Offer excellent benefits.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with the following programming languages would be beneficial, but not required:
- - Experience with these technologies would also be beneficial, but not required:
- - Android platform development
- - Microsoft platform development
- - Apple platform development (iOS, tvOS etc).
- - Development tools such as Xcode, Visual Studio etc.
- - Unit testing frameworks and technologies
- - Continuous integration systems
- - Source code versioning systems (git)
Back to top