UX Designer Intern
- McLean, VA
Appian is a platform for building enterprise software applications, faster. With Appian, customers get the speed of low-code development with the power of intelligent automation in one trusted and unified cloud platform.
At Appian, we’re seeking to grow our culture of passion, energy, and innovation; Empowered by the “the best idea wins,” we thrive on collaboration and debate, encouraging all employees to challenge and elevate one another. We strive for diversity and inclusion through continued education and a commitment to equity.
UX Designers at Appian craft new features that allow our users to do their work more easily and efficiently. UXDs research user needs and market trends to identify product requirements. They then translate requirements into wireframes and prototypes that define UI layouts, interactions, and flows. As members of Agile development teams, Designers work closely with Product Managers and Software Engineers to rapidly build functional increments, test their effectiveness, and incorporate improvements.
Effective Appian UX Designers are:
- Practical. They know how to follow a structured process of research, design, and testing, but also know how to prioritize the most effective activities to support fast-changing business requirements.
- Intuitive. They know when to trust evidence, but also when to trust their gut. They have a great sense for usability and can internalize an ever-evolving framework of rules for making good design decisions.
- Flexible. They do what it takes to support their team’s mission and thrive on the reality that no two work days are the same.
About the Job:
As a User Experience Designer Intern, you will partner with full-time Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers to:
- Perform user research to understand the unmet needs of our customers and stakeholders
- Create wireframes to facilitate rapid design iteration based on review and feedback
- Prototype new interfaces using Appian’s low-code UI design system
- Plan and execute usability testing for features and enhancements; analyze results and work with Product Managers to prioritize issues
- Review the user experience of applications built by customers on Appian’s platform and provide recommendations for improvement
- Good standing in Bachelors program in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related field
- Enterprise software and Agile development experience preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Back to top