Senior Software Engineer (full-stack)
- Flexible / Remote
Appian’s vision is to unite people, process, and data in a seamless platform for low-code automation across the enterprise. Unfortunately, businesses today are hamstrung by their data being spread across their enterprise. The Modern Records Group at Appian is striving to make data faster to query, easier to leverage in applications, and a joy for users to consume. We're looking for passionate people who want to create powerful, data-driven features that will allow enterprises to quickly bring together data and build new business applications in order to transform their business.
The goal of the Modern Records Group is to make it easy for developers to quickly build powerful, complex, and performant data-driven applications. We work with the customer's data, whether it be in traditional databases, web services or third party tools like Salesforce. We then layer on top of that our "Appian Data Service" which adds additional features that let the customer easily extend their data, join across sources, handle complex security, and create powerful UIs and reports. Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast, and flexible.
As a Senior Software Engineer working in the Modern Records Group, your mission will be to ensure Appian is always fast, scalable and up to whatever tasks our customers configure it to do. You will be solving problems of scale and flexibility that most engineers never see, building a product capable of serving our customers in ways you never imagined. Your scope extends from the high-performance data layer to the cross-platform user interface to the design tools used to create it.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Gradle, JDBC, Hibernate, Spring, Kafka, Quartz, Typescript, Redux and React.
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the product by designing reliability into software and systems.
- Troubleshoot, investigate and diagnose incidents using a combination of tracing, alerting and log analysis.
- Contribute to software performance analysis and system tuning
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Build automation to prevent problem recurrence with tools such as JUnit, Spock, Jest, Jaeger, and/or Locust.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Share advanced knowledge regularly on a team and occasionally with others in the department; build a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
Preferred Experience Level: MS in Computer Science or related field/degree and 1+ years of relevant experience, or a BS and 3+ years of relevant experience; Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment; Fluency in Java or C#
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field/degree
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
Back to top