Associate General Counsel - IP & Litigation
The Associate General Counsel – IP & Litigation at Appian is a key individual contributor to the success of the Appian Legal Department. The Associate General Counsel – IP & Litigation will be assigned as the in-house leader of our IP prosecution efforts and well as day to day manager of all litigation. The Associate General Counsel – IP & Litigation will be expected to manage those responsibilities independently and with sound judgment. The Associate General Counsel will engage with executive team members and represent the Legal Department internally and externally with respect to his or her area of responsibility.
Note - Appian HQ will be moving from Reston, VA to Tysons Corner, VA in summer 2019.
- Management of Appian’s ongoing litigation on a day-to-day basis, including reviewing all pleadings, coordinating any internal discovery, drafting papers and attending hearings as necessary
- Developing and protecting Appian’s portfolio of Intellectual Property rights, including engaging with Appian engineering on identifying inventions for patenting
- Reviewing press releases and marketing materials for compliance with false advertising laws
- Counseling internal stakeholders with respect to employment matters that may lead to litigation, including international employment matters.
- Provide proactive service and counsel on assigned key legal issues related to contracts, regulatory compliance, governance and business ethics, corporate matters, securities issues or labor laws.
- As assigned, create, implement and ensure adherence to governance, risk and compliance programs.
- Assess legal risks within area of responsibility and suggest appropriate business practices in light of legal risk assessments. Mitigate business risk by establishing policies and business processes to keep potential liabilities to a minimum.
- Develop and provide training to Company employees on legal matters and implications for the organization within area of substantive responsibility.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from a top-tier law school and actively licensed to practice locally.
- 5+ years legal experience with a focus on IP litigation (patent, copyright & trademark)
- Employment litigation experience a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strategic thinking skills evidenced by the ability to develop strategies that reduce potential areas of legal risk while furthering business objectives.
- Must be detail-oriented, analytical, and adept at solving complex legal problems.
- Demonstrated flexibility and efficient time management to appropriately prioritize workload based upon Company needs.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity with ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
Back to top